Clockwork Orange original

Martybolt

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone, I am hoping for some guidance as to the value of my Clockwork which I purchased new in the mid 1980's, I'm in my 70s now and have not ridden it for nearly 15 years and have a bike with a softer ride so have decided to sell it.
Its not done an awful amount of miles as can be seen it still has its original specialized ground control front tyre.
Its a 17/18 inch frame with a number of A609A1309.
Any help would be much appreciated.
20230901_125647.jpg 20230901_125806.jpg 20230901_125909.jpg 20230901_130009.jpg 20230901_125714.jpg

1990.....first year that lx groupset came out....if memory serves. Im sure somebody who speaks orange can translate the frame number...

As for price....I would probably say put it on ebay for £195, but then seriously look to take offers if given.

I've had 2 very similar in the past few years at £100 and £150 (next groupset up mind)....but yours looks reasonably sound.

Glws.

Thanks for the info, I hadn't thought about other components for dates.
I feel fairly sure it was 1980s when I purchased it but my memory is not what it was, I have all the paperwork somewhere.
Perhaps someone will help with the frame serial number.

Could be a later 89 bike as they were specced with 90 LX, possibly a June frame? Defo a 89 or 90 though, going by the frame design.

Price wise I agree with Tooty, pretty rare colour, Ground Control’s are sought after and looks quite original but it has the base group set Orange offered and the market is terrible atm. Aim for £200, be prepared for offers of half that and I’d say if you make £150+ you’ll have done okay.

Could be a later 89 bike as they were specced with 90 LX, possibly a June frame? Defo a 89 or 90 though, going by the frame design.

Price wise I agree with Tooty, pretty rare colour, Ground Control’s are sought after and looks quite original but it has the base group set Orange offered and the market is terrible atm. Aim for £200, be prepared for offers of half that and I’d say if you make £150+ you’ll have done okay.
Many thanks, You have got me interested in the different frames and components now and I was struggling with letting it go so may hold it for a bit longer.

Keep it! The reason i found Retrobike back in 2007 was because I had recently sold my original 89 and regretted it.

Plenty of info on the site so have a search about. When they changed the name to the C16 in 1994 it was because that was the 16th different revision of the Clockwork so plenty of research to do! The maim changes IMO were 1988, 1989, and 1992.

Keep it! The reason i found Retrobike back in 2007 was because I had recently sold my original 89 and regretted it.

Plenty of info on the site so have a search about. When they changed the name to the C16 in 1994 it was because that was the 16th different revision of the Clockwork so plenty of research to do! The maim changes IMO were 1988, 1989, and 1992.
I have to agree, I think I will probably regret it also even if I never ride it again, it has sentimental value.
Thanks for reminding me why I have kept it all these years. 😁

Back