Clincher vs Tubular

billkilpatrick

Dirt Disciple
The new/old aluminium rims I just bought are for tubular tires. Who knew? ... certainly not the guy I bought them from and I didn't think or even know to ask. Fate decided for me but after reading a list of pros and cons - clincher vs tubular - I'd have to say I'd probably choose tubular tires in any case: longer lasting, lighter, smoother ride, or so it seems. Definitely retro. Now I understand those old photos of mustachioed cyclists wearing tires across their chests like ammunition belts ... and I never felt secure about patched inner-tubes in any case. Learn something new everyday.

Last edited:
Clinchers unless you are racing on them.

Changing a tube is far more convenient when you puncture away from home. And a repaired tub is never the same again.

Re patched tubes, if they're done properly they will easily withstand 100psi. Saying that, you can buy tubes at £2 each if you catch shop offers

I use tubulars on 1950s wheels too. The clincher rims are too hard to find and there are an abundance of tubular rims like Fiammes etc. Use a basic tub if you're going to ride it everyday because they're less likely to pick up ****tures e.g. Conti Giro, Challenge, Tufo S33. I don't usually carry a spare, but I do carry a can of Pit Stop in my back pocket (like I did this morning).

Which glue is used to stick them to the rims?
Somewhere ... old b/w French film, possibly ... I have a vague memory of a man in overalls with a cigarette stub in his mouth, painting glue on to a tire prior to mounting.

Back when I used tubs there were two popular cements used for road wheels. Dunlop rubber cement which came in a yellow can with am application brush mounted in the cap and Clement Extra which was supplied in tubes. The Dunlop stuff stayed tacky so was useful for retaining a tyre changed at the road side while the Clement cement tended to harden - often to the point where it took real effort to remove a punctured tyre. Until you developed skills in the techniques needed to fit the tyres (which some people never managed) it could be a very messy and frustrating job.

I've used Tub Tape (and the Tufo one) for about the last 10 years now and had no problems with it during year-round cycling in all weathers. Can recommend - it couldn't be simpler.

+1 for tape. I've used Velox for years with no problem - it leaves enough stick to mount a spare and get home in the event of a puncture. Just mounted a tub with Tufo tape; it was easier to use (plastic rather than paper backing) but can't say how it behaves when removing a tub. I only recall one occasion on which I punctured 2 tubs in one ride, so had to walk home. It was sleeting (of course).

I never managed to fit a rub, using either cement or tape without making a mess of the tub sidewall. Very frustrating.

There were 2 types of cement - Dunlop as described above, which is best for the spare tub you're carrying as it remains tacky and Clement which sets rock hard, so doesn't move in hot weather

I use(d) both, clicher and tubular. Due to earlier days, in my racings days I used tubulars, glued on the rims. It is a little bit of works, but a rider has to do it himself I think, to get convident about your material. I repair tubulars all my life and never had problems. Saying once repaired tubulars are never hte same is nonsens. In the past I used Pastali and nowadays I use Continental. ( in a can,) Without any problem. When you are acurate there will be no problem in gluying. I do use layers on rim as well as on the tubular. Please let the layers dry before adding the next one. The last layer on the rim must be a little bit more picky and then you mount the tubular. The rim can be glued before, there is no need to clean it fully. The old dried glue is a good base for the new one. As long as it is not too much. Maybe you can file it aa little bit. Warning: do never use valve caps on tubulars. Due to problems when the tubular eventually came of (see picture). Have fun. In those days there were not that nmuch good cichers if the right width. Nowadays they are much better, and not worse than tubulars. Both is okay I think. It is what you prefer. Personaly I change quicker a tubular than a clincher tube.

Attachments

• 577a263da84c79d9aa554995dab4c8c18543661830981c68f3f4281251a9daf9.jpg(mediaclass-media-carousel...jpg
    577a263da84c79d9aa554995dab4c8c18543661830981c68f3f4281251a9daf9.jpg(mediaclass-media-carousel...jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
Back