Claude B Kylami : I Solicit Your Opinions On What to Do Next

No rust as far as I can see. I am thinking about taking the stickers off (they are not laquered over, just worn away and peeling already from cable rub) and hoying some more popple ano on it.

Can you recommend what components work best to make it a single-speed? I am only going down this route because I've already got two commuters and a Privateer for best. Just thought I'd try it. I know I need a cassette converter at the back and a chain tensioner - just looking for ones that seem to actually work well as I've heard the chain often comes off or needs attention with some brands of kit. If I am going simple, then I don't want hassle.

Quill is the ropey bit - never had a quill stem before, I assume this is for a hollow steerer on those RST forks? The forks seem fine and in good nick. Is the headtube quill-specific, or can it be run with a-headset forks and stem?

Thanks for any advice.

dc98c9afa7b69d22c404ed4464954041.jpg

dd26889296fc5045bc28cce99651afa1.jpg

207744542085d251ae0f88d2e57de15d.jpg

96090c46a06265328891f8a8b22d82b1.jpg

4933ec9d264c2f7f4d102666640ca0c2.jpg

AHAHAHAHA I WAS RIGHT REYNOLDS CRO-MO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

smug mode :OFF:

what would I do with it? Save the good bits for something else or spares and build it back up with drops, mudguards, and STX bits.

But then again, I am a sick sick man...

Nothing at all wrong with that bike.

I wouldn't bother spending anything on it, TBH. There's no reason to ditch the quill stem unless your forks are noodled. And the ano stuff might cost more than the bike is worth.

You just need some shorter bolts to run your middle ring on its own, then a singlespeed converter kit from Charlie the Bikemonger.

Then get out and enjoy it.

J i m s t e r":28pptp4b said:
Quill is the ropey bit - never had a quill stem before, I assume this is for a hollow steerer on those RST forks? The forks seem fine and in good nick. Is the headtube quill-specific, or can it be run with a-headset forks and stem?

You'll need an a-headset too, but you can ditch the forks and stem no problem. If it's just to get rid of the forks though, I'd be more tempted to just find some replacement threaded forks to suit.

legrandefromage":3mk5ycsd said:
'never had a quill stem before'

:shock: :shock:

staggers back from computer clutching heart...

It's terrible how these young-uns have been deprived of some good experiences. ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Aye..........there were things called 'marathons' and 'opal fruits' in them days too.............and if ye were out and about, and needed to talk to somebody, ye had to go into these funny wee rooms and shove coins in a one man bandit machine- Honest!!

Still, can't go back....................

shifters

ill take the XT shifters from you if you are getting rid...obviously no need for them irritating things on a single speed !!!

Lysander":nauy23ct said:
Aye..........there were things called 'marathons' and 'opal fruits' in them days too.............and if ye were out and about, and needed to talk to somebody, ye had to go into these funny wee rooms and shove coins in a one man bandit machine- Honest!!

Still, can't go back....................

Noticed as I was riding through a Cotswold village this morning, a red phone box with the sign... "This phone box does not accept coins" in the window. Never seen that before, struck me as odd and not particularly helpful in an emergency.

Back