Cilo, Lotus (gone) ,Raleigh (gone) or Geoff Wiles

Re: Which to keep: Cilo or Lotus?

As a contrary view, I'd keep the Raleigh as it has the best frame and some reasonably pedigree bits on it. I'd cannibalise the best wheels of the three onto it.

The raliegh has the best frame? Band on shifters, bolt through brakes requiring long reach calipers?

No noo no no...

legrandefromage":29zdmjz9 said:
The raliegh has the best frame? Band on shifters, bolt through brakes requiring long reach calipers?

No noo no no...

Yes, yes, yes .... 531 frame instead of lower cromor/aelle tubes.
Long reach brakes? Tis a touring frame, mudguard - ready with big tyres
Bolt through brakes? A retro bike ... surprised you're dissing retro features. And those brakes work bloody good, I have some on my hack and they have dual pivot stopping power.

I'd keep the Raleigh out of the 3

Re:

This is more like it! I'm learning. :D

One thing I've learned it that frame size is more important on a drop-bar bike. Particularly a tourer.

Though I'm not that tall (a shade under 6 foot) I have long legs. None of these bikes quite allows me enough leg stretch without a longer seat post. With a mountain bike I just run a long post at full stretch but with drop bars that's pretty uncomfortable - particularly, I think, because I don't have a torso of equivalent size to my legs.

So I think I need a bigger frame (with a relatively short reach) so the bars will be higher.

The way the bars are set up on the Cilo feels just right. So I'll probably keep that as it is in terms of set-up.

The Raleigh is actually the heaviest And I can't see the point in keeping a tourer that's too small. The brakes are very powerful btw but they seem to lock up easily. It's all original bar the rear wheel so though it's tempting to cannibalise it I'll leave it as is (for its new owner).

The Lotus, still undecided. I'll probably keep it for a while and see how I feel. It fits better than the Raleigh and is good for nipping about town. But in the long term it will probably go.

I've got various mountain bikes for various uses and limited space...

But one day a decent drop-bar bike will come along that fits perfectly and doesn't break the bank.

pigman":fkil9vvf said:
legrandefromage":fkil9vvf said:

No noo no no...

Yes, yes, yes .... 531 frame instead of lower cromor/aelle tubes.
Long reach brakes? Tis a touring frame, mudguard - ready with big tyres
Bolt through brakes? A retro bike ... surprised you're dissing retro features. And those brakes work bloody good, I have some on my hack and they have dual pivot stopping power.

I'd keep the Raleigh out of the 3

I must have had a bad day with mine then. Theres 'retro' and theres everyday riding. Awkward tyre sizes didnt help their case at LGF towers. I'd trade the Raleigh on the above sentiments and keep the other bikes. I sold my similar Raleighs and used the money to buy better quality overlooked brands.

But thats me....

Re frame sizing:

Over the years on RB, my bikes have got bigger and bigger and biggerer...

Long legs and short arms meant small frames could be fun as you wrap yourself around something and go off for a mad blast. But as distances got longer the frames got bigger to suit. At around 6 foot, I can comfortably ride up to a 60cm frame but not a 60cm square so my bikes have levelled off at around 58/59cm with a shorter top tube. So keep whatever fits, it can end up painful trying to ride something not quit right no matter how much you've fallen for a bicycle.

I loved this until it came to sorting shifting, wheels and braking. It was all awkward sizes, seized screw on freewheel and my personal bugbear; band on shifters...

It was going to cost more to rectify than it was to start again with another bike.

file.php

Above all keep whatever fits and feels comfortable, that's a given. I heartily agree with LGF that what's fine for an hour's thrash may feel completely dreadful after 80.

Anything with 27" wheels is a bit of a pain, although it does allow easy fitment of mudguards. Anything with space for 27" plus guards ends up troublesome with very deep drop brakes. Cheap Raleighs had non-standard threads on everything.

Re: Re:

Robbied196":3sw54sgy said:
And then there were three.......

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYdNlnfpjg[/youtube]

I'm from a generation that derided Genesis as the root if all evil but having said that I'm not sure I've even ever heard them. Will have a listen when not at work.

Re:

Hadn't really considered wheel size - will check on each bike. I put the tyres on the Cilo so I assume they're 700c (they were knocking around so I'm unsure of the size but would but would be surprised if they were 27")

Re: Re:

jaypee":3927504y said:
Robbied196":3927504y said:
And then there were three.......

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYdNlnfpjg[/youtube]

I'm from a generation that derided Genesis as the root if all evil but having said that I'm not sure I've even ever heard them. Will have a listen when not at work.

How dare you Sir! :facepalm:

I grew up on Genesis, Floyd and Tull. :mrgreen:

Re: Geoff wiles

Boom! Found one!

If it's a keeper I'll make a few changes but it fits and seems pretty decent. I'm guessing not a racer but a tourer? Or audax? Not great in terms of rack mounts. Forks probably not original so maybe too relaxed for the frame? Would that cause any problem?

DSC_4361_zpshj1la2gz.jpg

DSC_4362_zpsnwoccuyu.jpg

But...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=326002

Back