Christmas Karma Retrobike Raffle!

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Firstly, Mods, an apology if this isn't the correct place to post this. Feel free to move to somewhere more appropriate if necessary.

Right, perhaps an introduction required. I'm Fraser. Been mountain biking for about 20 years now, but I am a relative newcomer to this site. Since I joined however, I've done a wee bit of buying and selling, and something that always impresses me on here is the amount of good quality items that, for one reason or another, people "karma" to others. With that in mind, I have been thinking: given the time of year, many of us will be overindulging in all the festive season has to offer, including doing our best to annihilate the credit limit on our Mastercards. It can be easy to forget that life goes on, and that for some, Christmas won't be a time for celebrating.

This may have been done before, and if it has, apologies, but if not, what would the appetite be to run some kind of Christmas Retrobike Raffle? Kind hearted souls would donate one (or more) decent quality karma item(s) into a 'pot' of goodies, which would then be raffled off in the same way that many karma items are raffled off every day on here. The only difference would be that in order to get a number, a minimum donation would be required (nothing excessive, maybe £5 or whatever is felt to be appropriate). The more goodies we get, the more attractive the raffle becomes, and hopefully the more dough can be raised. Once all is said and done, a winner is chosen at random, all the karma donors post their items to the winner (perhaps for this reason, the raffle would need to be restricted to UK addresses?), and a donation of all the raffle money is made to a charity of choice via Just Giving or some such site. Due to the number of people on this forum, it would be nice to think that even a number of relatively small individual donations would quickly aggregate into a sizeable contribution to a good cause. May I suggest something as apolitical as possible, perhaps the "Make A Wish Foundation" (http://www.make-a-wish.org.uk) or something as the benefactor?

Maybe it won't work, hopefully it will. Maybe some of the finer details need going over, and if I've overlooked any glaringly obvious issues, I'm sure someone will let me know! Stop me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but this seems like a decent and friendly online community, and I just thought it would be nice to put that community spirit to good use.

Cheers! :xmas-big-grin:

Assuming John has no problems and there isn't anything inherently illegal about it (what do i know i work in IT) then it seems a good idea. I would throw something in the communal pot. :xmas-wink:

We've had similar suggested before, it's a tricky legal area. Basically if I / we / retrobike collect any monies for raffle tickets or the like it is illegal.

Not to say we can't do something. Would think free entry to the draw with a 'suggested' donation via a justgiving page might work.

The legality surrounds raffle type stuff that would require a gaming licence. thats why you have stupid questions on phone ins. this makes it a competition requiring a correct answer rather than mere chance, so no gaming involved.

All you need to do is set a stupid question that needs to be answered to circumvent this. Such as ' is it a zaskar? '

That's why there used to be tie break questions in our youth.

I can see this turning into a nightmare! John, what specifically makes it illegal? I did a bit of reading on the Government Gambling commission website and while I totally agree with you that it gets slightly confusing, I believe this would fall under a 'Private Society Lottery' which requires no license. That said, I'm no lawyer! In any event, just because something is permitted, doesn't mean it is desired (e.g. the X Factor), and if this would create unease amongst those responsible for the site and all its dealings, then I can understand why there would be hesitation.

THM, take your point over adding a question to entry, but wonder if the real issue is more the condition of payment/donation in order to enter?

Would this still work if donations were only suggested? Obviously there may end up being a few folk who entered without donating (which would be completely allowed), but then would there be a risk that if one of those people ended up winning, it might create a bit of bad feeling?!

Wish I'd kept my mouth shut now!

fjpshaw":1q9p1rxx said:
Obviously there may end up being a few folk who entered without donating (which would be completely allowed), but then would there be a risk that if one of those people ended up winning, it might create a bit of bad feeling?!

How would anyone else know what an individual had (or hadn't) donated?

Koupe":3vezbtq8 said:
fjpshaw":3vezbtq8 said:
Obviously there may end up being a few folk who entered without donating (which would be completely allowed), but then would there be a risk that if one of those people ended up winning, it might create a bit of bad feeling?!

How would anyone else know what an individual had (or hadn't) donated?

I suppose they wouldn't. I had thought that if donations were managed through a Just Giving type site, then users would be listed on the donations page, but thinking about it now, users could donate anonymously, couldn't they?! It was just a thought.

Back