Child/junior 24" wheels types

M_Chavez

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all,

In a moment of weakness I have made an impulsive purchase of an old junior racer bike (whatever's left of it) on ebay, as a wee restoration project for me and my daughter - she should be big enough for it by the time we're done.

The bike has got old battered steel-rimmed 24 inch wheels (37-540 ettro) that I am looking to replace with alloy.
I am a bit confused with the 24" wheel options - there seem to be a lot and none are particularly popular.

Ideally, I'd like to run a narrow, light-offroad capable tyre around 35mm for road and light trails use.
Assuming that I can get the brakes to reach the rims, I am considering either finding a cheap nos set of 24x1 3/8 (37-540 tyres), or building a set of 24x1 (25-520) on novatec hubs and airnimal rims. I would be grateful for any advice on what wheels to go for:

*-540 size seems to be a thing of the past, with very little tyres choices, but the ones you can still get come in knobbly 37mm.
*-520 seems to only come up to 25mm and panaracer is the closest I can find to a mixed-use tyre. These are likely to be lighter, a bit smaller, and seem to have enough tyres made for this size.
*-541 (aka 600A) seems to be dead. Am I right to assume these are interchangeable with *-540?
*-507 - not sure if I can even get the brakes to drop this far to accommodate these. Plus these are wide mtb tyres - might not fit into the frame.

What rim size would you go for? Which standards are still supported? Anything used in junior cyclocross perhaps?
Happy to build them myself, as long as I can find the components.

Thank you.

Back