Cheapest way to replace chainrings (5 bolt), chain and cassette

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
I'd like to replace the three 5-bolt chainrings on my KHS Montana Pro. The chain and cassette are old so they'll need replacing at the same time. It's coming to over £100 for a pretty basic set, bought separately, which is more than the bike cost!

It's common to replace these parts all together so I'm wondering if there are any deals out there. Or if anyone's selling new/nos chainrings for not too much as they are the pricey part.

I know I could probably replace the whole crankset for less, but I've got a perfectly good and original one and it's only the rings that actually need replacing

It’s hard to say without knowing what brand/bcd it is and the number of teeth your after. I’d maybe be looking for Stronglight or TA Specialites equivalents, once you’ve pinned those down there’s lots of places including eBay for you to be able to run the price down. I’m sure there will be chinesium CNC jobbies on AliExpress etc as well if you know the bcd.

Chain and casette are cheap, if it is 8 speed, go for the 850 sram. Nice, cheap and easy to find. Arround 35-40 euros for both. I have change the lock nut for one in aluminium and that is all. https://www.bikeshop.es/sram-casset...JjV1oXR4_KG1RYwrKScWQkkAWjDYaAipeEALw_wcB:G:s

Edit the pinion 18,90 euros https://www.fabreguesbicicletas.es/bicicletas/prod/cassette-sram-pg-850-8v-11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-dientes?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsdiTBhD5ARIsAIpW8CJMM2IAop54hFQc6LGRWxw9JWZ5OBJDwRAyJeKzklniIm1EDsDHbc4aAh4cEALw_wcB o_O

For the chainring I bought a Strong light 32 for my WI cranks and was not expensive (Chek the BCB size of your crank set) https://www.bikeshop.es/plato-inter...RWhQAZbjuFKOFdSpVg8FH9UMezx0aAr9UEALw_wcB:G:s

All arround 60 euros, less pounds but it is in continental EU and VAT shipping cost may rise the price and will not worth to buy it.

Last edited:
Buy a complete bike with good condition chainrings and sell the rest ...... without giving in to the temptation of keeping the new bike.

Ask yourself do I really need to replace all 3 chainrings? People are creatures of habit and normally only use one chainring mainly swapping only occasionally to another, so generally one is worn far more than the others. Most cassettes come from China or Taiwan now so just choose one you like the look of rather than spending out on a name brand. Same goes for chains but this can be a bit more tricky as with wine buy the second cheapest example. 😉

Good suggestions guys thanks.

I'll check those links madjh, thanks

Yes it's the middle ring that really needs replacing, but that skips under any pressure and I've just been using the big and small ones. I'm sure with a new chain they'll slip too.

Maybe a cheap lowish end 90s bike that's not had much use and harvest the parts.

The grease trick worked for a while but now it's really bad!

Spa cycles used to do good own brand rings at a good price. 5 bolt could be 110 BCD or compact MTB (94 BCD) so make sure you get the right ones.

Back