Champagne sales down 20%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":1kuus2z7 said:
Let's hope they stop selling 'French' cider in our British shops!

As for restraunts, they are mainly run and staffed by immigrants; so what is wrong with good old fish and chips instead of poncy snails and squid ink?

Quite right HF
I'm sure our chefs can come up with delicious menus around potato or sugar beet main course followed by an apple or pear. Yum :)

I like how every reason given for why it won't knacker the economy boils down to "we'll go Juche".

Harryburgundy":9f8ipftk said:
You two really haven't got a clue what you are talking about...it would be laughable if it wasn't so serious.
No, you're right. I've got a degree in business, grew up in a family business, worked in multinationals and now run/own two myself - WTF do I know?

This is utterly retarded. The argument about whether Brexit is a good/bad thing is separate, and you already lost it. Nobody sensible suggested it would be plain sailing, that there wouldn't be change, upheaval, and a period of economic uncertainty or difficulty. As it is we're still in growth (despite Brexit), still spending more than we earn (despite Brexit), money's still flowing into London (despite Brexit) and property hasn't devalued (despite Brexit). Nothing fundamental has changed so far. BUT

NO business can expect favourable market conditions forever. You either adapt or die.

Here's an idea and a way to make money from Brexit. Cheap website. Don't worry about qualifications. You're now a Brexit business consultant. Make some calls, send some emails, give your doom and gloom advice and 'expertise' and take money from those daft enough to be as worried as you are.

I say it in jest but I bet there are folk out there doing just that. Making money from a changing situation. Problems are opportunities in disguise.

Re:

Champagne is down because it is no longer fashionable. For the most part, champagnes aren't actually particularly nice to drink. I think is was Heston Blumenthal who took blue nun (and soda stream'd it) and a relatively high dollar champagne a day did a blind tasting in the financial district in london and most chose the fizzy blue nun over the usual fizzy crap.

Prosecco is a different matter - it's drinkable and now fashionable.

Just ask in your local pub how much prosecco they sold a week 10 years ago and how much white zinfandel / white grenache they sold compared to today.

In one pub I worked in, we went through 12 - 15 cases of zinfandel a week 10 years ago. Today, they don't even stock a pink.

It's got cock all to do with brexit, it's more to do with the french not being able to keep up with Australia, california, Chile, argentina, Bulgaria, New Zealand, italy and South africa who are all seeing year on year increases in their wine trade.

Interesting subject.

Harry clearly has an interest in this trade, so it is good to hear how Brexit may impact on certain facets of life.

Thinking about the restaurant business, I am surprised things didn't start to slow down a long time ago. Lots of hotels, restaurants, cafes and bars are run as vanity projects by people who have money to waste, and they will often be run at a loss or very thin margins.

This means a lot of them may fold very easily.

It remains to be seen how the wine trade will do beyond Brexit.

Lots of the wine producing areas in the world are outwith the EU, and those within will be as free as anyone else to promote their goods in the post Brexit market.

We may see prices fall. France might do more trade directly with us. I love French products, I will still be buying them. Just not French cider.

A drop in sales is good as with all alcohol. Its disgusting & unhealthy and they should ban all adverts. Treat it the same as smoking. I'd include gambling as well.

Drinking in moderation is considered beneficial.

I can't see the upside to smoking though.

It would be magic if less drink overall was consumed, whatever the type of drink. It causes the majority of societal problems, but this is a thread about a downswing in a particular kind of drink. One, I don't feel, is a huge contributor to the problem.

My grandfather was a massive wine fanatic, and my enthusiasm was there from early childhood. We always had wine with dinner. Never to excess.

Re:

I'm loving these expert opinions, thoroughly entertaining, particularly how champagne is undrinksble compared to Prosecco! Brilliant, keep 'em coming.

I'm really surprised you're not lamenting the drop in sales of Black Tower? Best adverts ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back