Chain oil, what do you use?

Re:

Currently using muc-off wet chain lube, which is fantastic (having never bothered with "proper" lubes before).

Wouldn't usually SPLASH OUT on £4 full retail price - I got mine from Aldi in the clearance bin, 2 bottles for £2!!!

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":26h2zst9 said:
highlandsflyer":26h2zst9 said:
I use motorcycle chain wax. It rocks.

Is that the stuff you melt over the hob?
Ohh, happy memories from my early motorcycle days.

Mum wouldn't let it in the house, so it was a camping stove at the back of the garage.

Actually, I may still have a tin here somewhere. :facepalm:

GT85 tends to work its way inside freehub bodies, washing out the grease and leaving them to seize. I got through 3 before learning what it was up to.
I use Finish Line red (wet) for winter, and White Lightning for road in the summer. Pedros Syn Lube is also good.
Most recently I've started using Wickens & Soderstrom No.5 which seems to stick very well.

In all likelihood a regular dripping with some left-over motor oil might be just as good...

I use a 5wt Motorcycle fork oil by Morris Lubricants.
It is the best I have found and was $15 NZ per litre, its thin enough to go where it needs to, does not catch too much crud, does not get washed away, and it is really good for gummy shifters.

This is like asking what is your favourite boney m song, n replies, n+1 songs.

I doubt there is one correct answer but ill throw my 2p worth.

Firstly over oiling an exposed chain will make grit stick and that has tendency to wear the chain.

I use motorcycle chain grease, spray on sparingly at the edges of a moving chain, then wipe off excess. The grease is solvent bound so is runny enough to work its way into the links. The solvent evaporates leavjng the grease behind. At least that is what i tell myself.

And in case you are wondering, its Rasputin.

Re: Re:

wookiee":qcy295ah said:
Mr Universe":qcy295ah said:
wookiee :D

but you can get it here!

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/ro ... -lubricant

Hey ! Many thanks wookiee , I didn't know of that website :) , looks like I'll be rocking and rolling again soon :)

cheers

Ian

It is the best lube I have used, just due to the fact that you leave so little on the chain that the sh*t doesn't seem to stick like other lubes!

Cheers Doug!

Bought some, and used it last night. Looks pretty good so far! I'll see how it goes on the wet ride home tonight! Grrrrr!

Mike

Back