Centre pull brakes

I just about survived.

I think after growing up with Weinmann sidepulls on steel rims, centrepulls on alloy rims were a revelation. I think I only realised quite recently that brakes could be used for stopping and not just slowing down a bit.

More than one crash I had was down to hopeless brakes, I never knew it didn't have to be that way. I dislocated my shoulder in one crash and now have the beginnings of rheumatism as a reminder.

Interesting about the upmarket bushings, I wonder if they are cross compatible?
I have never had a set of 2000s only racers and various canti's.
I find with brakes it is horses for courses with the older rides and while I have discs, dura Ace 7700 sidepulls to modern cantis I find my Mafac Racers when set up right are pretty decent brakes.
Speaking of rubbish brakes, I had a set of Weinmann Dynamic sidepulls and they must have been the worst brakes I have encountered. I have a NOS set up in the loft as well but I tell myself they will be good for spares for something and by not selling them I could be saving someone some serious injury ;)

Jamie

Well, with my gorilla like hands, the arms themselves flex. I supposed I should give a ride out rather than worry about what it looks like in the stand.

I'll report back if I survive.

steampowered":dcnvzmc5 said:
I just about survived.

I think after growing up with Weinmann sidepulls on steel rims, centrepulls on alloy rims werea revelation. I think I only realised quite recently that brakes could be used for stopping and not just slowing down a bit.

More than one crash I had was down to hopeless brakes, I never knew it didn't have to be that way. I dislocated my shoulder in one crash and now have the beginnings of rheumatism as a reminder.
Oh the good old day's of wet chrome rims :|

Jamiedyer":2ob4rlgy said:
. Speaking of rubbish brakes, I had a set of Weinmann Dynamic sidepulls and they must have been the worst brakes I have encountered. I have a NOS set up in the loft as well but I tell myself they will be good for spares for something and by not selling them I could be saving someone some serious injury ;)

Weren't they the Weinmann follow up to the GB Syncron?

The original design was by Altenburger I think. An early 'dual-pivot' design.

Attachments

• Weinmann Dynamic Brakle W Flory Feb 68.jpg
    Weinmann Dynamic Brakle W Flory Feb 68.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 235
Back when there wasn't a huge amount of choice I always much preferred properly working centre pulls over the alternative but also found the right pad material for the rim made a huge difference and there's a lot more choice in that department now.

I've got some (that I can't remember the name of them now but they do very good quality Modolo replacements) in the shiny gold Mafac 2000's on my Sid Mottram and they stop superbly well with a lovely progressive feel

Back