Caustic soda experts help needed!

What concentration to sort a seatpost out and how best applied? Your experience and anecdotes appreciated.

My seatpost & caustic soda experiemnt failed at any concentration I could make that still poured. Its worth a go but it isnt a magic fix.

mtbfix":1qiqputw said:
What concentration to sort a seatpost out and how best applied? Your experience and anecdotes appreciated.

if you are talking about a stuck seatpost - try acetone though the BB shell - then (when the acetone has evaporated) heat the whole seat tube up with a blowtorch and throw a bucket of ice-water over it

I have caustic soda already and no access to a blowtorch. This is really the last ditch attempt as the mechanic put a split on the seat tube a week or two ago.

JeRkY":37ghw3ye said:
My seatpost & caustic soda experiemnt failed at any concentration I could make that still poured. Its worth a go but it isnt a magic fix.

did it not react jerky?

when i dropped even a tiny piece of aluminium in the caustic soda soloution i used it created a very violent exothermic reaction. that was quite a low concentration mix.

greenstiles":1j88vp9g said:
Maybe you could paint the parts you want to protect with hot wax and then use the cleaner as wax is acid resistant ?

Caustic soda isn't acid, of course.....

I think that I'd paint the solution on with a small paintbrush - wearing good gloves, naturally.

JeRkY":1wmyka42 said:

Errr... it was an aluminium seatpost, wasn't it...?

Back