Cats Wiskas the 2

Re:

I'm a big fan of Grip Shifters, I have been since Sachs Wavey's.

The Attack shifters are designed to work with Shimano mechs and the front mech shifter has an extra click or two, which can come in handy. The X0 3 x 9 units are the same body, but have a different finish and are designed to work with SRAM mechs, you get no extra click with them, so the mechs have to be set up spot on.

Re:

I took off the Waveys , to compare with these Xrays , find they're lighter action good but not as many positions as the Waveys . Also got some cheap srt400s 7 speed on one bike , they work well too . On page 10 of British Steel thread mate ;)

Got a few bits for my current project this week , maybe update at the weekend , not British though :oops:

Mike

Re:

Right, a couple of changes and another try around the block.

The changes? I have now acquired and fitted a nice pair of Pace RC35MXCD's. I had to move the brake bosses, as a previous owner had erroneously fitted them with the bosses facing forward. I'm sure they worked fine, but that is not the way Mr Pace intended them to point.

I have also changed the Nobby Nics for Panaracer Fire XC Pro's.

The ride in brief was great. I didn't manage to clean either of the tough gravel climbs; my legs are a bit off their best at present, what with Scotland followed by Mayhem, plus it's hot, and I don't really do hot, anyway enough of the excuses, the switchbacks were great, as was the long rocky climb and although I could not really feel the MXCD's doing their thang, there is no doubt that they were doing it, as I found myself able to hold whatever line I chose, and was never knocked off track as can happen with rigid forks.

The short sharp climb was cleaned with ease and the rocky path around the back of the golf course was really easily ridden.

I went round the back of the golf course past the old farm and then on to tackle the sharp rocky roots climb, which, after a couple of nights of rain was wet; the Cats flew up, like it was being chased by a DOGS (eh, eh? geddit? oh never mind).

Overall, the 653 Cats with MXCD forks is a near perfect combination. Tracking is true, steering is rapid and pin point accurate and wherever the front wheel goes, the back one follows (if that s what you want). Grip from the Fire Pro's is, as always, excellent, and when they do break it's both progressive and predictable... Nice.

This is a great bike, and a perfect combination with my slightly more sensible DOGS BOLX and also a perfect replacement for the DeKerf Mountain which had to go to make room.

DSCN0551_zps66169562.jpg

DSCN0552_zps2cbf1600.jpg

DSCN0555_zps71566502.jpg

Re:

Nice mrM ,

Can you explain how the DB is sensible in comparison as I've never ridden either ?

Mike

Re:

It's slightly difficult to explain.

It is rather like the Cats has a shorter wheelbase, or tighter head angle / rake, as it is very nimble and fast; you have to watch where you are going, but without the bike being unstable and twitchy.

By comparison, the DOGS is just a little more laid back and dependable, you can sort of look farther down the trail and pick a line from here to there; that is why I do my night laps at Mayhem on the DOGS, as I can just concentrate on where I want to go without really thinking about it.

It's rather like the difference between a nice road bike and an out and out racing bike; the racing bike is just that bit more harsh and taught.

Does that make sense?

Re:

Ah , I see

A bit like me riding my Scott , then Jason's kula!
On hols now , no mobile reception or bike :( but I do have WiFi so I can still buy tat ! :LOL:

Mike

Back