Cassette tapes don't last forever

dbmtb":1cm1z4rs said:
How long has the tape deck been down from the loft? There may be moisture that's not evaporated yet that's affecting the performance too.

I saved a deck from the tip a couple of years back that nearly went straight back there but when I tested it again after 3 weeks in the house, it worked fine.
The deck's been sat on the top of a bedroom wardrobe. It's the tapes that may have been left in a wooden box in the garage for some length of time.... :oops:

dbmtb":2axjr4x2 said:
But my oldest cassette- David Bowies Heroes from 1978 or thereabouts - plays as good today as I ever remember it.
I've dug this thread up because I've just found a Sony CHF60 dating from somewhere between 1978 and 1981, and to my disbelief, it plays really well! :) Pity about the Huey Lewis album that's recorded on it... :oops: :roll:

chf.preview.jpg

I was looking through my cassettes and finding blank tapes that were considered rather good quality back-in-the-day; TDK SA, Sony UX, etc. Then it occurred to me that all of that 'advanced' technology -- chrome tape coatings, metal tape coatings, Dolby 'B' and 'C' noise reduction, XDR -- all of it has been consigned to history. The MP3 player has made it all completely irrelevant.

Perhaps I'm being soppy and sentimental, but that thought made me a bit sad.

My twins found some cassettes at my mum and dad's house. One said, "Oh look, its a baby video." The other said, "We saw some of them in a museum, do you remember?"

My mum was not impressed!
We have a Yamaha KX-393 that has been used maybe five times in the last 10 years.

Iwasgoodonce":286ugrv9 said:
My twins found some cassettes at my mum and dad's house. One said, "Oh look, its a baby video." The other said, "We saw some of them in a museum, do you remember?"

My mum was not impressed!
My friend's stepkid pointed to the cassette deck on her hi-fi and said "So..... what do you put in there?". It just makes you feel rather old... :? ;)

Iwasgoodonce":286ugrv9 said:
We have a Yamaha KX-393 that has been used maybe five times in the last 10 years.
I can believe it. And you might as well keep it, because they're fetching peanuts on eBay.... http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=yamaha+kx+393 :(

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back