Cassette tapes don't last forever

JohnH

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've set up my hi-fi in the lounge and was happy just to have the amp, the CD player and the radio tuner connected up. But there are a few albums that I really like that I only have on cassette. So tonight, I brought down my trusty Denon cassette deck (same model shown in the photo)...

1487_0.jpg

First tape I put on was the album "World Shut Your Mouth" by Julian Cope. It's one of my favourites, but the recording sounded horribly distorted with the pitch going up and down (as if the tape was speeding up then slowing down). Arse! Second tape was "Autogeddon" by Julian Cope and that sounded fine. Stopped that after a minute, and tried "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk -- another of my favourites. Sounded great for 2 or 3 minutes.... then it sounded drunk and slurred... then it just stopped. The Cocteau Twins sounded perfect. But "The Whole Story" by Kate Bush sounded abysmal.

So it looks like some of my cassettes have reached the end of their life. :(

Rather than going bonkers and replacing everything with CD, I think I'm just going to have to discover what's fecked by playing the albums that I want to listen to. If they play fine, then I can stick with the cassette for now. And if they're screwed, I can go off and search for digital replacements, although I could be in for some unpleasant surprises -- the cheapest Amazon price that I can see for "World Shut Your Mouth" on CD is £27, and even at that price, it's a second-hand disc sent from the US. :cry:

Johnh,the tape in some of your cassettes will have tightened in storage,if you fast forward to the end and then rewind again you should be able to improve them quite a bit....I had this problem a couple of years ago with tapes in my car stereo,I saved most of them and it is worth a try.......

Maplin did/do a cassette---> Mp3 cassette deck, play your tape in the cassette deck and by the power of Grayskull (or some such trickery) it converts it into an mp3 file on your computer.
I have the vinyl--->mp3 converter and that works well, just a bit labour intensive as you have to play through each record, iirc the cassette version has high-speed dubbing though.
I have hundereds of mix-tapes I'd love to convert to mp3 before the cassette recordings fade away, so might look at options as an Xmas pressie :)

Actually, as you have a tape deck already you'd just need the software and a lead, phono to USB I think?
Buggered if I can remember the name of the software though, but there must be plenty of options out there...

That was what I was thinking.

I have a tape deck that sporadically displays these symptoms on cassettes that play fine on other machines.

Back