Carlton Super Course restoration.

NJF

Retro Newbie
I decided to restore my Carlton Super Course which I have had from new 1983/4. I had it resprayed in the late 80's after 3 English winters of riding (as can be seen in red before restoration). For the last 20 years or so it hasn't been used. I have rescued it from the back of the shed. My intention was to keep as much of the original components as possible to retain the character, whilst adding a modern twist with deeper rimmed modern wheels. Due to most of the original components not being serviceable, all apart from the chainset, rear derailleur and shifters are new or sourced period components. Brake levers and seat post I just wanted aero. The respray was carried out by Universal Cycle centre, Maltby Rotherham. They are Carlton experts and due to having worked at the Carlton factory had the original transfers and the 4 star 531 stickers. They also knew the exact pearl oyster paint to use. They were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. The saddle and bar tape are a closer match in colour than in the photo, probably something to do with photoluminescence.

Attachments

• red carltone.jpg
    red carltone.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 686
  • IMGP0186e.jpg
    IMGP0186e.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 690
Looks lovely and agree that, in my opinion anyway, the white looks much better than the red :)
Maybe start a build thread in the readers ride section and tell us a bit more about it and also a few more pics. maybe even enter it into the RBotM competition as this months theme is British.

Jamie

Re:

The bike looks fantastic, you've done a great job and personally, I think the upgrades enhance the bike and make it a little more practical. I also agree that Dave Marsh at Universal Cycles is a great help and has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Carlton's. Going to post some pictures of my Carlton rebuild this weekend.

Lovely build and bike. It looks very modern in a nice way.

Re:

Thanks Manny, practicality was necessary I think as it will be ridden. Plus a warped Weinman front brake calliper which snapped when I hit it too hard with a persuader trying to straighten it. Retro wheels costing 5 times more than new ones were all contributing factors. As was the idea; that had dual pivot brakes been around back in the 80's everyone would have used them. I still have the Weinman wheels but they are shot and this bike over the years had Mavic GP4's and MA40's on it anyhow. MA40's are on my Peugeot.

ibbz, Great! That's exactly what I set out to do. Old but with a modern look.

Back