Carlton Road Track ?

Re:

Just looked at the chainset, looks like the C1000 with the thinner cranks, but it is later than the frame, the earlier ones had square headed screws not sleeves to fit the chainring, so the chyainset date looks OK.

Very much before my time, however it looks to be an absolutely fascinating machine. At first glance when I saw it I was going to say 1940s...

Re:

Hi, lovely old carlton, I've never seen that seat lug before, I would guess at 1952/3, they were just making changes to the range and up too 1953/4 they were still using Chater Lea fittings for the Road track according to the catalogues that is, but I would throw into the hat, the possibility its a Flyer, below there is mention of cut lugs in a 1953 cat, just a thought, worth checking. Love to see it when its done. Terry

Attachments

• carlton_flyer_cutting.png
    carlton_flyer_cutting.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 413
Thanks for everybody's comments.

I've made some progress...

The paint was looking pretty rough, so I'm going to repaint it all.
Stripped the old paint off and treated the rust. Nothing too bad, but lots if pitting in some areas.
IMAG1231.jpg

First coat of primer on. Don't be distracted by the interesting mustard colour !
IMAG1232.jpg

In the hope of filling the pitting a little, I've gone with a "high loft" primer (and because I had some left over from a job on the car ;) )
It has helped, but there is still some pitting visible. I'll see what it is like after a bit of rubbing down.
IMAG1234.jpg

Hopefully this weekend will see some colour - always a nice moment !

Next thought is wheels.

I know these are not original wheels supplied with the bike. I believe Dad originally had a set of Sprints for racing, and then shortly after bought a set of clinchers ( "HPs" in his world ) for commuting. The front is one of the clinchers, with a Sturmey Archer Dynohub. ( The dynohub still works, but is a bit lumpy )
IMAG1252.jpg

I quite like the 2 spokes in 1 hole patern :
IMAG1254.jpg

The rim is not marked with a brand that I can see, but has quite rounded section. It is single skin, so the well on the inside was filled with a (perished) thick rubber v-shaped rim tape.
IMAG1245.jpg

At some point, probably in the 1970s, my brother "had an incident" on the bike and the rear wheel was replaced with this small flange airlite hub and weinmann rim :
IMAG1238.jpg

The spokes on both wheels are quite rusty, but I've not yet cleaned them up to see how bad.

So, the big questions are whether to replace them or rebuild them ? Tubs or clinchers ? Period or more modern ?

Repalce the wheels a good quality matching alloy set...

Looking great BTW.

Re:

The dynohub is always going to feel lumpy, you can feel the effect of the magnets which produce the AC.
The front rim looks like a constrictor Conloy, possibly collectible somewhere. Made from a tube, so hollow, and with far too deep a well, causing inner tubes to stretch down between thw wires and burst.

If you want to rebuild the dynohub, we put spare spoke nipples in the slots to hold the spokes in while doing the initial tightening.
Keith

This weekend was a painting weekend :

I was aiming for a "British Racing Green" colour, but the first coat came out a weird shade of greeny-blue (look more blue in this picture)
IMAG1268.jpg

Tried again. This time it came out a bit more "Bottle" green than I really hoped for (I'm obviously out of practice) but it will be fine :
IMAG1276.jpg

Added an "ivory" band on the seat tube and head tube. :
IMAG1302.jpg

A set of vinyl decals from H Lloyd Cycles :
IMAG1304.jpg

IMAG1311.jpg

Really quite happy with the results !

Cheers
Tim.

Re: Re:

keithglos":1kadu1hz said:
The dynohub is always going to feel lumpy, you can feel the effect of the magnets which produce the AC.
The front rim looks like a constrictor Conloy, possibly collectible somewhere. Made from a tube, so hollow, and with far too deep a well, causing inner tubes to stretch down between thw wires and burst.

If you want to rebuild the dynohub, we put spare spoke nipples in the slots to hold the spokes in while doing the initial tightening.
Keith

Thanks Keith.

Impressive rim knowledge :D

Tim.

Spokesmann":33tkwoid said:
Repalce the wheels a good quality matching alloy set...

Looking great BTW.

Thanks.

As the newbie on the forum, I wasn't sure what the consensus was on keeping components original. I think getting something new (and shiny :D ) would look really good and really "make the bike", but I also like the idea that it has kit like it might have had when it left the shop in 1953.

In the end I may have to go with whatever I can find with a 110mm rear O.L.D.

( I started racing in the 1980s, so I always wanted a set of Campag hubs with Mavic GP4 rims, but don't think that would look quite right. )

Tim.

Back