Carbon fibre frame longevity

Sorry, I meant a normal carbon fibre frame doesnt bend or flex as a whole, especially if it has an impact, but, yes it can be designed to flex if needed.

The beauty of carbon fibre is you can design what properties you want it to have and keep it lightweight, hence the price. Carbon fibre also isn't affected by outside weather conditions as long as the coating is unmarked,but saying that, even a few chips and scrapes wont do any harm.

The only scary thing is if it has a manufacturing fault from the factory, I suppose they cant x-ray everything...

Paul Eggleton":36vuhtx3 said:
Agree, but for me the decision is around risk and comeback. £2k+ with potnetially no comeback has me twitching.....interestingly Lapierre's warranty wording doesn't specify original owner......

eek £ 2k+ for a used frame? what frame is this - you can get new ibis carbon frames for £ 1.2 k on the bay

02gf74":a4psnmwy said:
Paul Eggleton":a4psnmwy said:
Agree, but for me the decision is around risk and comeback. £2k+ with potnetially no comeback has me twitching.....interestingly Lapierre's warranty wording doesn't specify original owner......

eek £ 2k+ for a used frame? what frame is this - you can get new ibis carbon frames for £ 1.2 k on the bay

It's a full bike not just the frame; a barely used Lapierre Spicy 916

Thanks for all you input chaps, however this has all become irrelevant as it turns out its an 2010 model which has the alloy front triangle, lol. I'll be going for a new 2012 Zesty.

bit late but fwiw
i've had several carbon bikes over the years with no issues other than a brake post pulling out of a super vee swinging arm , i re-bonded it with some adhesive (dp 501) never given bother since
my modern is a 2009 carbon zaskar and apart from a few creaks as it bedded in from new its been great

Hmmm... Seeing as there are people riding round on 20yr old CF MTBs already, I'm not sure that the longevity of (good) CF frames is an issue is it?

I wonder if this guy worries about CF not flexing, or failing without warning etc?...

1280-oscar-pistorius.jpg

His blades look awfully thin given how CF is such a fragile material don't you think?

Russell":m71d52c8 said:
Hmmm... Seeing as there are people riding round on 20yr old CF MTBs already, I'm not sure that the longevity of (good) CF frames is an issue is it?

I wonder if this guy worries about CF not flexing, or failing without warning etc?...

His blades look awfully thin given how CF is such a fragile material don't you think?

Of course he doesn't as I expect they're replaced quite often and free of charge!! He also knows the exact history of them!

Back