Cantilever "collar"

Babyarms

Retro Newbie
Not sure if this is the right term, but basically I've got a Saracen Backtrax (mid - late 90's?). When I was cleaning it down one of the plastic collars that sits behind the canti body snapped in half. One of them has an adjusting screw mounted on it, one hasn't. It's the one that hasn't that's snapped. Do I need to replace this or will the brakes work ok without it? The spring is exposed now? At the moment half of the collar is still in place. Any advice gratefully accepted.

i know what you mean, they should work no problem at all, maybe source a new set of canti's off the bay, there are some cheap pairs around.

Are they Shimano Brakes? If so, then on some of them, the collar is pretty important....

Yeah... The collar is important...it locates the end of the spring Without it, you would have no tension.... If you cant find a replacement, I have several in good shape, but I think there is a lot of water between us... :) But you can have them for the price of shipping.... :)

I did once bodge one of these that fell apart whilst on holiday -I used a slim zip tie to hold it together and it held until we got home!

My method is to take a file and carve out a small grove around it, then use some stainless wire to bind it with a twist....

Thanks for the replies. I'll cable tie the thing up at fhe minute then try and get replacement upgraded canti's

Babyarms":2ir9641a said:
Thanks for the replies. I'll cable tie the thing up at fhe minute then try and get replacement upgraded canti's

Make sure you get the cable tie square round the centre and tighten well! ]

Best of luck!

Back