Cannondale Super V 900 (1999) and what to do with it.

danielsayceadams

Retro Newbie
I have acquired this bike for free and want to know what to do with it. I have no idea about mountain bikes. Is it worth learning a few things and putting together the missing pieces? Or would that be too much of a headache? I have no knowledge of disc brakes or suspension. Or even bike parts beyond about 1990.

Attachments

• bike cannondale MTB.jpg
    bike cannondale MTB.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 934
  • bike cannondale MTB wheel.jpg
    bike cannondale MTB wheel.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 930
Re:

I had one of these & although it had disc mounts it came fitted with Magura rim brakes as standard, has in not got mounts to take V brakes?

It doesn't have mounts for any other brakes. But it does require a new fork, as this one is bent. However, having looked at the disc brakes, it looks simple enough. The question is, how do I find a suitable fork? How universal are they? How do I know if I'm buying something that will fit? and is this frame and components worth spending any time on?

Re:

The components that are missing, saddle, seatpost, cranks etc are not a problem, what is, is the Headshok fork.
It looks like it has no air in it and the rubber boot at bottom is missing. Merely pumping it up may be enough or if not new seals are required.
The missing rubber boot is more concerning as the likelihood of dirt or grit probably has got into needle bearings that it slides on. Just fitting a new boot without cleaning it out wouldn't work as it requires a strip down to clean it. Similarly changing the seals requires taking out damper. A strip down and rebuild cannot be done unless you have the special tools to do it, not easily available, and the requisite level of knowledge not to eff it up. Cannondale removed all the workshop/rebuild info off their website several years ago but some of it can be found online. The tools are sometimes specific to just one type of Headshok or Lefty. I have 2 Leftys that need different tools to remove damper, I also have a few Headshoks that need their own version of these tools. Some of the other rebuild tools can be used on several Headshoks and Leftys. It's a nightmare knowing what you've got and what you need.

As you say you have no knowledge of suspension so if you were wanting to fix it you'll need to send it off to someone who knows what they are doing, it won't be cheap.

Not trying to be a misery-guts, that comes naturally, but trying to work on Headshok without the tools and knowledge will end in tears.

Edit...thought I'd posted this earlier before your post about bent fork. Are you sure it's bent? Where?
You could fit a "normal" fork but you would need head tube reducers/cups as the Cannondale headset bearings are 1.56" internal diameter, just to complicate things, so you can fit 1"1/8th steerer forks. These reducers/adaptors are easily available and a much, much cheaper option than fixing existing Headshok. Also much easier maintenance down the line as the Headshok needs regular lubing/servicing.

Re:

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yeah the fork is bent. The guy I got it off said it had been crashed. You can see in this photo. I think it's the head tube reducers aspect I need to look into. I'm not prepared to bother with learning about the Headshok repair. As you say, sounds like a bit of a mission if you don't know what you're doing. Does a MTB fork and headset come out much like on a road bike? Is there anything I need to know before I go yanking on bits?

Attachments

• bike cannondale MTB fork.jpg
    bike cannondale MTB fork.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 852
Re:

Aye, that's bent all right.

To get the headset bearings out first you have to remove the stem off fork and support bike off the ground minus the wheel. Then hit the top of fork with soft faced mallet downwards through bearings. Be careful as you don't want to damage the top cap on fork. It might take a bit more of a hit to get it out since it's bent but you'll find that bottom bearing tends to stay on fork allowing fork to drop all the way through. You'll need to catch it so it doesn't hit yer foot. :mrgreen: The bottom bearing cup will stay in frame and both cups can be removed like a MTB/road bike headset. Again be careful as the part of cups in frame are thin and easily damaged.
From memory there are 2 types of reducers for headset, one that fits into the existing bearings in Cannondale headset and the other type fits into head-tube itself then 1"1/8th bearings can be fitted to it.

I might, not sure, still have a set of reducers but not seen them for a while as I've fitted Leftys to both my Super V and my F800. Will need to have a rummage amongst my pile of crap, er stock of parts.

Back