Campagnolo v Shimano...again 😁

90's Mirage was second from bottom in the Campag hierarchy - heavy-ish but nicely made. It competed with Shimano RSX.

Record > Chrous > Athena > Veloce > Mirage > Avanti

Shimano 600 was just below the top range Dura-Ace

Dura Ace > 600 > 105 > RS100 > RSX > Exage
There was also xenon at the lower end

I craved Campagnolo when I first started cycling and my best bike was covered in pre-index Campagnolo Record kit. Later on I loved the look of early Campagnolo Index groupsets. Elegant and classy IMO.
I bought a 90’s Veloche groupset but I couldn’t get in with the ergonomics if the shifting.
From that point on I have used Shimano indexing only.
So, it comes down to personal preference.

90's Mirage was second from bottom in the Campag hierarchy - heavy-ish but nicely made. It competed with Shimano RSX.

Record > Chrous > Athena > Veloce > Mirage > Avanti

Shimano 600 was just below the top range Dura-Ace

Dura Ace > 600 > 105 > RS100 > RSX > Exage
You are almost right (twas RX100, not RS100) and, whilst the orders are correct, at that time, Dura Ace was closer in price to Chorus, Athena was the competitor to 600, and Veloce competed directly against 105.

Mirage was not far off Veloce, and much better than RSX - perhaps it's equal was RX100?

Speaking of RX100, it's a common myth that RX100 is simply polished 105 - it is not. Whilst very similar, each part is actually a slightly different shape. Why Shimano made 2 such similar rear mechs, for example, is a mystery, but they are not the same.

Back