Campagnolo v Shimano...again 😁

Mr Weirdo

Retro Guru
Hello

I have a Shimano 600 SIS rd from about 1986 and I have a Campagnolo Mirage rd from the mid 90s.

Does anyone have an opinion to which is the better?

I believe the 600 is for the use of 5/6 speed and the Mirage for 7/8 Speed?

Any help or comments would be welcome...to a point lol

Hi, a strange enquiry as the answer really depends upon which shifter system you have and how you are going to set up your bike!
I run bikes with both of these derailleurs so I can definitely give you an opinion...
Shimano 600 - the one with the enclosed jockey wheel cage is designed for 7-speed but will work happily over 8-speed and possibly even 9-speed. Shifts very slickly and quietly. Looks ok with a painted finish.
Mirage 8-speed mech is designed to work with Campag 8-speed. Easy to totally strip down and service. Gives a clunky positive gear change. Looks classy even though a bit heavy as a bottom of the range mech.
Shimano and Campag 8-speed spacing is different but Shimano 7-speed spacing is the same as Campag 8 so you can have ergo levers, a Mirage mech happily shifting over a Shimano 7speed wheel / cassette.

Hello sorry it's a bit odd but I try and simplify things as that's how I understand what I'm asking.

Great answer and very informative as well as being helpful as I didn't know the place the Mirage takes in the Campagnolo family.

I have Athena Ergo levers which I don't really like but I think their springs need replacing? I prefer levers on the bottom tube as a rule. I was thinking of swapping the Campag components over to 600. I must admit I prefer Shimano.

I will have a good think about things until my budget allows me to go ahead.

Thank you again.

As a young lad I had Campag (Gran Sport, Record etc.) until the Simplex Prestige came along. Half the price of a GS mech with excellent shifting. Then Shimano and Suntour appeared and I was hooked. Excellent shifting, great looks and (relatively) low pricing - depending on the range. I really liked Shimano in the 80's and 90's as all the ranges were interchangeable between road and MTB products. Very useful, especially for Cyclo-cross. Since then I've used Shimano on all 'modern' bikes (600, 105, Ultegra) with STI etc. I have Campag Nuovo Record on my Classics - and miss the indexed shifting!

90's Mirage was second from bottom in the Campag hierarchy - heavy-ish but nicely made. It competed with Shimano RSX.

Record > Chrous > Athena > Veloce > Mirage > Avanti

Shimano 600 was just below the top range Dura-Ace

Dura Ace > 600 > 105 > RS100 > RSX > Exage

So:
objectively the 600 is a higher quality item, but...

The 600 will look better on a bike from the mid 80s
The mirage will look better on a bike from the mid 90s

And if you're indexing, they will need to match the shifters

Back