Campagnolo First Generation Crankset & Pedals Updated 8-15

Straighten or leave it alone

• Straighten

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Leave it

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Campagnolo First Generation Crankset and Pedals but...

Very early campag had thinner arms,the cranks were machined to a circular section at the join with the spider, the back of the spider was machined flat, the grooves in the spider where a bit narrower, BCD was 151mm, had a raised section where the pedal screwed in and the back of the pedal screw holed had a pop-in metal cover.

I think that's it from memory, anything else will need a visit to Velobase :)

Shaun

Re: Re:

t47b":357vc03s said:
Couple of newby questions...sorry...

What is the difference between the 58 Record and the post 67 Nuovo record crankset, I can't see any difference? I know they only came with 44+ teeth.

What is the difference with Record and Nuovo record pedals? (I can see there is a difference of type position on the pedal dust caps)

I have read that the campagnolo logo added a shield in 83, what does this mean as the logo on the cranks already have a shield?

I would leave the 'character' in that pedal :D

Not surprising that you can't see the difference because it is subtle, but a subtlety that makes a huge difference in collectibility. The easiest way to spot the first generation crank is the raised lip around the pedal hole; the next is the caps on the back of the pedal hole (except when they go missing) Next the arms are noticeably thinner and they lack the webbing at the center. Also the BCD is 151 not 144, an attribute that is shared with the second generation crank. The pedals have a shorter threaded area so to work with the cap mentioned above. The cage is less refined and the chroming is thinner and the pedal caps printed with "patent" and "Campagnolo" are thinner and toward the outside of the cap. This one you can spot in my picture since I have one of each, the pedal on the left has the Nuovo Record cap, the one on the right is original.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Steven

Re:

Following the question about the differences between the first generation crank and the later ones I put together a few side by side photos to visually document the differences.

The two cranksets are the 1958 Record and a pre 1973 Nuovo Record that I had lying about. One caveat the NR cranks are 172.5, whereas the Record are 170 which may exaggerate some differences.

I am going to do several updates so that I can illustrate more completely the differences

Attachments

• First Record v Nouvo Record 2 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 2 web.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 160
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 4 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 4 web.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 160
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 5 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 5 web.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 160
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 6 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 6 web.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 160
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 8 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 8 web.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 160
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 9 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 9 web.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 160
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 11 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 11 web.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 160
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 10 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 10 web.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 160
Next a comparison of the pedals, which have some differences aside from the threaded part of the spindle. As I noted the cage on the 1958 pedal has much thinner chrome and just looks less refined. Also the strap guide, not the loop the one on the inside of the cage, is much thicker.

Attachments

• First Record v Nouvo Record 14 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 14 web.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 158
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 15 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 15 web.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 158
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 16 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 16 web.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 158
  • First Record v Nouvo Record 17 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 17 web.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 158
I Guess the newer cranks have a 3 in a diamond stamped on them:) The outer ring also has a pin on it to stop the chain from sliding down the crank, I wonder when Campag started that?

Do the old pedals have a rifled part to stop water ingress?

Shaun

Just realized I did not photograph the ends of the pedals, will have to correct that.

Next comparison adds a Super Record arm from 1986 to the line up. I found only very subtle differences between the NR and the SR th most obvious being the rings and the engraved date code.

The first generation crank lacks anodizing but the other two have an equal luster aside from wear.

Attachments

• First Record v Nouvo Record 7 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 7 web.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Nuovo Record v Super Record 1 web.jpg
    Nuovo Record v Super Record 1 web.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 157
Midlife":3t43ukgo said:
I Guess the newer cranks have a 3 in a diamond stamped on them:) The outer ring also has a pin on it to stop the chain from sliding down the crank, I wonder when Campag started that?

Do the old pedals have a rifled part to stop water ingress?

Shaun

The pedal spindle is rifled. The NR crankset is from before they started with the date codes, so some where between 1967 and 1973

AFAIK Back in the 70's the Super Record cranks were the same as the NR cranks of the same period, just the rings were different. Rather like the only difference between SR and NR brakes were the alloy brake block holders of the SR (drilled levers aside).

For those of us working in the 70's, Campag had a sneaky change to the cranks, nobody told us at the sharp end but later (much later) I gather due to the USA regulations about sharp objects, the front mech, QR levers, brake quick release and a few other bits were changed including the bottom bracket and cranks to mirror the change to the front mech...

Why change a design classic :D

Shaun

one more comparison showing all of the parts side by side

Attachments

• First Record v Nouvo Record 1 web.jpg
    First Record v Nouvo Record 1 web.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 138
Back