Campagnolo chain rings question

Yes that is the bike. The original Colnago bar tape is actually under the white tape, it is very thin

Ah, the plot thickens! I wasn't expecting that. Do you still have the matching pedals? I can understand why you'd want to replace them for actual riding, of course.

Anyway, lovely bike - enjoy it in the sunshine :cool:

Yes I still have the Look pedals, but will be fitting SPD’s. The Campag 13-21 cassette will be switched for a Miche 13-28 to help on the Cotswold hills. The hubs are Campag Croce d’aune with Mavic SUP rims and flat spokes, SUP’s are being replaced with NOS Campag Omega V aero rims.
Bike had been mothballed for 20 years according to the vendor!

Attachments

• 61FC97FB-0009-4A9C-8A9C-BAA2F2AFA86A.jpeg
    61FC97FB-0009-4A9C-8A9C-BAA2F2AFA86A.jpeg
    470.6 KB · Views: 3
  • F52E9A13-B060-427A-9375-44D6EF2CC0E4.jpeg
    F52E9A13-B060-427A-9375-44D6EF2CC0E4.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 89CF1F79-4105-4517-B3C7-7006FD953AC3.jpeg
    89CF1F79-4105-4517-B3C7-7006FD953AC3.jpeg
    520.4 KB · Views: 4
  • CDBA667B-9D3A-4DA1-86F3-4AAAF9647822.jpeg
    CDBA667B-9D3A-4DA1-86F3-4AAAF9647822.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 3
A few months back I built a set of wheels with the same rims. They are hard-anodised rims of 1990s design so don't have machined brake tracks. Although I'd done a couple of hundred miles on them before I got caught in a heavy rain shower I'd not used the brakes much so the surfaces were pretty much pristine. It was 40 years since I'd ridden new anodised rims in the rain and it was something of a shock to rediscover exactly how little brake effect they have when wet compared to dry. Luckily, due to traffic conditions I had started to slow some 20 or so yards earlier than I would do normally and was able to make it look like I'd intended to take to a cycle path rather than pile into a car which was waiting at a junction.

I believe that I once heard that the 'AS' stood for asymmetric. Exactly WHAT is supposed to be asymmetric about them I've no idea. It's not unusual though, the AS stamp appears on loads of chainrings from the early 1990s.

Thanks, just wondered.

I remember a press photo of a Raleigh team bike back in about 1974 that had black campagnolo chainrings. Spent ages trying to track them down but they were one off "fakes" for the photo shot and not actually available.....

A few months back I built a set of wheels with the same rims. They are hard-anodised rims of 1990s design so don't have machined brake tracks. Although I'd done a couple of hundred miles on them before I got caught in a heavy rain shower I'd not used the brakes much so the surfaces were pretty much pristine. It was 40 years since I'd ridden new anodised rims in the rain and it was something of a shock to rediscover exactly how little brake effect they have when wet compared to dry. Luckily, due to traffic conditions I had started to slow some 20 or so yards earlier than I would do normally and was able to make it look like I'd intended to take to a cycle path rather than pile into a car which was waiting at a junction.
A good point made Jim, I guess you need the anodising to wear away and start to form natural tracks? it certainly would have been entertaining in the wet back in the day - as per your anecdote!
I have another set of these Campag rims on a Nigel Dean Edge, where this wear has occurred naturally over time.
My goal is to ride these new rims on high days ☀️

That's my MO. 25 years ago I discovered that the older you get the less you bounce and the more you splat when you hit the ground. The older I've got the more I've become a fair weather rider - in the above case the rain started when I was about 2 miles from home.

Back