Campag 2007 qs 10 carbon shifters centraur,chorus or record?

kenster

Retro Guru
Think this is the place for this conversation?
I am looking to finish of my 853 steely build of which I will post pictures later. I'm taking campag 10 speed Daytona off and upgrading with chorus and record 10 speed. Looking into shifters I would ideally like record just because I would (being honest and trying to fight the label urge. However this is a bike for life)
Looking into it I can still get chorus and record qs shifters but they are coming in at £170-200+ However a set of centaur carbon qs shifters can be bought (including cables for under £90!!!) link below.

Has anyone had experience of using this shifters and can point out any major differences please? They are all 2007 so pre super record. I just seems crazy the money difference if primarily for a label or is it more than that? Really appreciate your views. Cheers jon
P.S anyone who has second hand chorus/record 10 carbon let me know.
p.p.s I do actually have chorus 10 speed but not carbon. The idea of carbon was to match the chainset and rear mech (which are carbon).

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/23601/Campa ... ower-Lever

I can't remember when they changed them, but earlier centaur shifters could upshift all the way across the cassette in one go, the same as record and chorus. Then at some point they changed them, so that you could only upshift one sprocket at a time. That, maybe some different internals (bushings or bearings, etc) and the name, are the only differences I think.

I can't remember what the shift mechanism was called before and after the change though - google will have the answer I'm sure :)

Re:

Thanks Andy I had a good conversation with the guy in the shop I put the link to. I just wish you'd sold me your record shifters ;) then I wouldn't be writing this. I think in reality I ought to just put the chorus shifters on that I have. Maybe I'll keep an eye out over time for the record. The centaur do seem a great deal though for the money. I run the newer version of the carbon centaur on my best bike and is been faultless.

jon,

those centaur ergo's are pants.
As foz says, single release mechanism, shift paddles snap off with alarming regularity, and the mechanism isn't repairable, it's a complete housing.

Thanks Phil, I really appreciate the advice. I found some negative info about them on a few forums actually to.
I have made a decision to either use my normal chorus, or source carbon chorus or record. Been offered a pair of records via lfgss but they are having the mechanism replaced? thinking about biting the bullet and getting new chorus carbons. Ultimately no difference (I believe between them) of course except the label. I'm sure not worth the £30 more?
Just pm'd you about the record brakes. cheers jon

Back