c1956 BSA Tour of Britain - too far gone to restore?

Re: c1952 BSA Tour of Britain - too far gone to restore?

Mike, just a thought. I know that you think your frame strength could be compromised due to corrosion and you may well be right..

Looking at your photo's. The one of the seat tube shows the Reynolds 531 sticker. That sticker apparently signifies that only the frame's main triangle is made of plain gauge 531 tubing. The forks and rear triangle something else. I would think that whatever these tubes are, they may be okay because they won't be thin walled, the bike being built to a price. So back to the main triangle. If plain gauge 531 has an outside diameter of say 28.6mm. Internal diameter I don't know, I can't measure the seat post size on mine because it hasn't got one yet and I'm nowhere near the bike anyway to measure the internal tube diameter, but I'm guessing 26.5mm ish... That would give a main triangle tube wall thickness of about 1mm. So not fag paper thin like Reynolds 753 and certainly thicker than 531 butted tubes, I don't know but maybe enough 'good' metal left to still have good frame strength?.... Maybe.

A cautious idea... What about brushing one or two of the badly corroded areas with a toothbrush size hard wire brush to establish how far corrosion has gone? Individual tubes can be replaced, but of course the cost may be prohibitive.

If it were mine, I think I would coat the frame and forks in Evapo-Rust for a while and see if it's still in one piece after then rinsing it off with water, but only you can decide that.

Just my ramblings.

Right, first time I've touched this for several weeks!

Just to take a few shots for reference

Freewheel - a T.D. CROSS & SONS LTD, 16, 18 and 20 teeth.

BSA Tour of Britain rear wheel by Mike, on Flickr

You can barely tell, but a 27" Dunlop Special Lightweight rim

And the hub, a Bayliss Wiley

Apologies for the lack of progress! Too cold in the garage, and we've decorated our hallway since I last popped in here ... I'm looking forward to having a spare day to play in the workshop again, and some blue skies to get out on the bikes!

Arr... That explains why I can't find a BSA rear hub to match my recently aquired front one. It's a Bayliss Wiley rear!! not BSA. Also threaded on the other side for a fixed gear. Excellent.

Thanks for the photo's Mike. Your bike is such an original example.

yorkie1956":naq38qvg said:
Thanks for the photo's Mike. Your bike is such an original example.

Thanks Dennis. I think all I'm going to do is replace cables and brake block rubbers, bearings where necessary, and put it back together and ride it very gently in it's old age. I think it may even end up as wall art! But I can't bring myself to part it out now, even though I'm skint!

Well done for persevering with this Mike, I think if it were mine, it would have been relegated to the parts bin by now.

yorkie1956":1qoqf044 said:
Arr... That explains why I can't find a BSA rear hub to match my recently aquired front one. It's a Bayliss Wiley rear!! not BSA.
The BSA large flange rear hubs are out there, Dennis, but pretty rare.
Have you considered building yours up as the 3 speed hub geared version?, - no need for that rare hub, or the derailleur, and the BSA 3 speed hubs are quite common.

quiet mike":34uc8b3h said:
Thanks Dennis. I think all I'm going to do is replace cables and brake block rubbers, bearings where necessary, and put it back together and ride it very gently in it's old age. I think it may even end up as wall art! But I can't bring myself to part it out now, even though I'm skint!
I'm pleased to hear that Mike. A good idea. Riding the bike that is, not being skint!

twosheds":vjjbmmex said:
The BSA large flange rear hubs are out there, Dennis, but pretty rare.
Have you considered building yours up as the 3 speed hub geared version?, - no need for that rare hub, or the derailleur, and the BSA 3 speed hubs are quite common.
Do you know that's not a bad idea at all Bruce.
But also for me, part of the pleasure of doing stuff like this is finding the right parts, so I will see what turns up and thanks to your idea I now also have a plan B.

Right, I've got bored of tripping up over this so work has picked up again. Tyres and tubes, and cables and bearings being sourced. I'm just looking into handlebar tape now.
Is this red plasticy stuff original you think? And what's it actually called, if anything?
Hoping to get this up and running for a few Hampshire Lightweight section rides with the VCC this year.

BSA Tour of Britain by Mike, on Flickr

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 512
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back