BSA Model?

abako

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

I found this BSA sitting out back and I'm in the laborious (but loving) process of bringing it back to life.

When i first picked it up and saw the Tour of Britain sticker and BSA markings, I thought it would be a breeze to identify. That has not been the case. The female frame, funky bar brakes, full chain guard and BSA crankset have some of the hallmarks of the BSA Streamlight Sports Roadstar Model 622A single speed.

If anyone has any opinions verifying this or disagreeing then please let me know.

TIA

P.S. If anyone has come across one before could you let me know how you got the delicate chrome off the front forks - I'm really stuck for ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20150821_172752.jpg
    IMG_20150821_172752.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_20150821_172800.jpg
    IMG_20150821_172800.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 603
Initial research has led me to believe that it's a 1950s bike (when Raleigh bought BSA). However, the BSA crankset (similar to the photo attached) and the BSA logo on the handlebar all pointed me towards BSA.

Unfortunately the head tube badge was too faded to confirm it's identity but it was just a plastic badge, not a metal one.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 582
Re:

This is clearly a BSA from the mid 50s before TI bought Raleigh.
That does not make it anything special.

If you look at the brake rod adjusters by the head tube you will see a vertical nut which compresses a small spring to grip the rod. This was only made for about 3 years.

The sloping chromed brass cover on the fork crown is correct for mid 50s.

Keith

Re:

The chromed brass cover on the fork crown is just placed on top of the crown. When you take the forks out it might come off, but rust might prevent it. Brass against steel sets up an electrolytic action.
1/8 inch balls in the head set.

Very unusual in UK to have a chaincase bike without 3 speed hub.
You could be right about the model, perhaps search for a catalogue. I have a few copies from 1930s.

I was retailing Raleigh and BSA 1954-57.

Keith

Re:

Nice to see a humble BSA in the forum - not enough of these "cycles for the masses" are celebrated here IMO.
I have a BSA Tour of Britain Sports awaiting restoration, so I'm a bit of a fan and I have done an awful lot of BSA googling recently.

The Streamlight Sports doesn't appear to have a full chaincase in this catalogue.... https://oldbike.wordpress.com/1955-bsa-catalogue/... but it is available as single speed.
However the Regency De Luxe Tourist Model 622E, shown in the same catalogue does have a full chaincase, a chrome fork crown cover, but doesn't appear to be available in single speed. So confusing!
How does yours compare to this?
I think this is the 622ES, with the Hublite dynamo in the front wheel.

Bruce

Attachments

• DSC_4857.jpg
    DSC_4857.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 550
Re:

Ok backtrack a bit....

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I have just noticed that the oilbath chainguard was an optional extra on the Streamlight, so please disregard most of my last post!!
It probably is a Streamlight.

I'll get back in me box..

Bruce

Re:

Keith - I've taken the forks off and there still isn't an obvious way of taking it off (there is a big metal bit on top stopping that. I've had a look at the brochures but didn't reach a conclusive answer.

Bruce - You've thrown a spanner in the works, in a good way of course. That picture is almost identical to mine (bar the seat, the front wheel and the fact that it's in an all round better state). I'm not sure if the Regency Deluxe model was part of the Tour of Britain stage.

Thanks for the comments.

Back