BSA Golden Fifty

PerB

Old School Hero
I just got a BSA Golden Fifty from around 1960, this is a 5 speed basic road racer, its equiped With Campagnolo Gran sport rear shift mechanisme.

According to the BSA sales literatur this bike could be delivered with 10 speed gir system. I am looking for uprating my bike to 10 speed.

Does anyone know which front shift mechanisme BSA used in the early sixties

Best regards

Per (Norway)

Welcome to the forum Per.

If your BSA is fitted with a Campag Gran Sport rear mech then it can be safely assumed that the 10 speed version will have had a Campag Gran Sport front mech to match. Several of the Raleigh/BSA/Carlton/Sun 'clones' were fitted with Campagnolo gear sets at that time. To be exact, you will need to source a suitable Raleigh Industries double chainwheel and matching bottom bracket axle. If you're not particularly bothered about total accuracy - then any will do!

Re:

Thanks for the kind reply, I have already searched for Gran Sport front shifter mechanisme on Ebay, but they seems to be scarce on the market. Early Record shifters seems to be a easier find, I asume I dont make a very big mistake using that either.

I really dont know if the Gran Sport rear shifter is the original, the BSA catalouge for the year only spesifies Campangnolo.
The bike is in good original condition making me belive its the oriinal shifter mech.

Best regards

Per

Back