Brooks saddle repair etiquette

Alantbt

Retro Newbie
I'm new to this retro/restore thing...

I have a Brooks B17 saddle, the leather is in good but not excellent condition. The rivets are corroded. The rails appear a little corroded.
I am comfortable that replacing the rivets is ok. Brooks can do it and the price is ok.
As for the rails. If they do need replacing they will replace to whole under carriage. Does this mean I then have a new saddle? even with the original leather.
It would mean I can use the saddle but does replacing the under carriage compromise the original nature of the saddle.
I could just replace the rivets and get another b17 to use when riding but that does seem extravagant.

Depends on how much you like the saddle, can the rivets or rails be cleaned up?

for my saddle, I removed the rear rivets myself to separate the frame and de-rusted it, I left the nosepiece in place, then I sent everything to brooks for new rivets and re-assembly

worked out great, looks like they put a new nosepiece and bolt on it, but the frame is still original

very happy with the results

If it was me and for riding, I'd swap everything and just keep the leather and forget about it, but I'm no purist :)

Re:

Having tried some rust remover on the frame and checking out what rust is on the rails I'm gonna try that first. Then it'll be off to brooks for a re-rivet.
Or is this possible diy?

Back