British frame builders, is there room for more?

Dr S":nhnb6nag said:
I hear what you are saying. Firstly, I think that the guys importing cheap carbon frames and whacking a 100% mark-up on them are chasing a different customer. When someone goes down the custom build avenue they are looking for something special. Something unique, beautifully crafted and without compromise. Its like comparing a Saville Row suit with George at Asda. If you want off the peg you buy off the peg.
Secondly, how many UK frame builders have been able to mix craftsmanship and a love of the art of framebuilding, with sound business sense, good marketing and promotion? Some of the best framebuilders I know don't even know what a website is, never mind have one.

When all is said and done, there will always be a Market for something of exceptional quality and beauty. You might not end up a rich man but if you can make a modest living whilst putting smiles on faces then who needs fiscal wealth?
I agree but rather be well off and have a smile.I wasnt comparing Chinese imports with custom built I was pointing out the market place in the UK,I know how many steel tube sets Reynolds and Columbus sell in the UK and its on a very small scale.The original question was is there more room ,yes there is but the markets not large so dont expect to become a millionaire.I wish it was different but it isnt.

Dr S":1ymplb9t said:
Tazio":1ymplb9t said:
I think there is also the fact that outside the road and XC market most people are buying FS bikes as it is affordable to get a good one now and they generally work very well. Hardtail bikes that are "boutique" will always have a market but an increasingly small one.

But there is also a growing number of people who fancy something not built by 'the man'. These modern full sussers are great indeed, but are so generic looking. Peel the stickers off and you'd be hard pressed to tell a Trek from a Giant from a Specialized. We can see here on this very forum and the increase in membership that many people are choosing to ride something a little different from time to time. Yes its partly nostagia, but also a little desire for individuality.
I also think its wrong to say the steel hardtail is dead. There's been a real rebirth over the last few years. They offer great entertainment, classic style and a great riding experience.

I actually agree with all your points Si, but the people who populate this forum are a relatively small percentage of the riding public. There is still a market for hardtails as you say but for many people it is as something they won't use on their "big rides" so they don't want to spend a lot on it. A good example being the amount of units that On One sell, cheap frames for an occasionally used fun bike. I don't think for a minute hardtails will die out but they could turn into peoples runarounds. Luckily there are companies out there still developing them and believing in them.

I for one will be sticking with them and if the lottery comes in then Chris DeKerf will be getting an e-mail from me as soon as I sober up from celebrating. Or maybe a Strangelove? ;)

Re:

I am myself a frame builder and I started not so long time ago. It is difficult for the staring young frame builder without the name and reputation. The custom bikes are expensive and new once does not go down below £2000 for a racing or MTB bike. Bit cheaper you can get a fixed bike, but still must be £1400-1600.
The good think about new frame builders are enthusiasm and ideas. It is never to much for us and we want to make the customer happy. But I do agree that there is a lot new frame builders and if the trend will be the same for the next couple of years the trade will become a hobby not a job and a way of earning the money

Latest posts

Back