Brighton - Eastbourne SDW End of september.

Well another great retro day out :D took a while to get there ...but it wasent about the time it took or the miles covered, just a top day out with like minded guys :cool: Thanks to Marcus, Danno and mark for a excelent ride, didnt get any picks but Danno took plenty !! oh and thanks to mark for getting the teas and cake :D well done guys, till the next time
Mick :D

They say a picture says a thousand words, so I'll let them do most of the talking...

The day started out really at 5.30pm in London on Friday, when I finished work and proceeded to carb load by consuming 5 pints of Doombar, when I also thought it would be a good idea to load up on ethanol based liquids, in an attempt to emulate motor racing fuel science. This meant the consumption of a Jager bomb and two shots of Tequila.

I awoke at 7.30am on Saturday morning to find that it hadn't had the desired effect! One day my experimentations will work. I will not give up on perfecting the ultimate pre-ride race fuel.

I met up with Purley Squire and WB2 at the Dyke car park and after some pre-ride faffing (by me) we were off. Mission objective, pick up Godders along the way and make it to Eastbourne. The weather was superb and within 5 mins of riding the dregs of last nights alcohol had worn off.

Here we go!!

null-57.jpg

WB2 with his famous Racing Fag

null-60.jpg

null-68.jpg

Just after we’d hooked up with Godders I saw a horse coming and decided to get down low to take a good photo. The respose I received from the grumpy rider was “You could have had me awf my Horse! They’re prey animals don’t you know, and you hiding in the bushes could have made him rear up and throw me awf” to which I thought….oh that would've been a real shame!

null-63.jpg

Anyway, here are our steeds...

Mine

null-64.jpg

Godders

null-66.jpg

Marcus' New De Kerf

null-67.jpg

Purley's

null-65.jpg

At Ditchling we encountered our first mechanical of the day. A sheered seat post clamp bolt on PS's bike....hmmm the saddle did look a bit suspect in the picture I took earlier... We had to make a quick detour to Lewes to see if we could pick up a spare, but not before effecting a classic zip tie bodge to prevent PS impaling himself, although we weren't quite sure if he'd enjoy that or not ;)

null-49.jpg

null-50.jpg

Not long after Marcus got his first puncture of the day

null-4.jpg

After a long pit stop and faff in the LBS in Lewes we headed off to eat up Firle Beacon

null-43.jpg

The winners view from the top

null-28.jpg

Racing tea and cake stop at Alfriston couldn't come soon enough

null-25.jpg

null-19.jpg

null-13.jpg

Onwards, and seemingly forever upwards…I don’t know why we bother…perhaps it’s something to do with the majesty of the SD National Park

null.jpg

Silence ruled, no one spoke for at least 2 mins and for WP2 that’s an eternity ;)

null-9.jpg

Many more ups and downs later..

null-56.jpg

null-54.jpg

Finally we reached the peak overlooking Eastbourne and the flatlands beyond

null-14.jpg

null-8.jpg

Another WB2 puncture break (get some new rubber boy!) and we were finally smelling the fish and chips and beer.

null-1.jpg

null-3.jpg

Rude not to really

null-2.jpg

35 miles, 3,200ft climbed. Burning legs and err one small problem with travelling East all day long

null.jpg

Top days riding :D

A STRAVA of the ride here

Ace picks Danno and great rite up :cool: lets hope we get at least a few more days like that in before the winter sets in ... note to self... must remember to take the camara with me more often :roll:
Mick :D

Brilliant, top write up and pics :)

It really was a perfect day in the hills, even the punctures and broken seat clamp didn't dampen our spirits.

Highlights for me were the weather, getting to the top of the climb out of Alfriston without running out of puff (this was due to the few hundred extra calories in the cream scones, thanks Mark!), the spectacular views afforded by the clear air, and "crossing the finish line" together. Brilliant! Oh, and the fish and chips avec beer. Perfect end to the day, although I did have another dinner when I got home......

But most of all, it was the company that made the day. Nobody grumped at the size of the climbs, or the distance. Good effort fellas, 37 miles and 1000m climbing. No wonder we were hungry lol

Oh, and thanks for the tubes Dan :)

Thanks for the memories

Thanks too, it was great to be with such strong riders compared to my usual riding companions, it was good to have people to pace myself by. I was usually watching Danno's back on most climbs thinking I'm not going to get off the bike and walk till he does.
It was a novelty to ride on ice slippery chalk and trying to climb up paths made from flint and old bricks.
Thanks for your patience in Lewes, the saddle got fixed/bodged properly today, but I just might splash out on a new seatpost in commemoration of the ride :LOL: Luckily the rest of the bike did me proud as I cracked a frame on the last RetroBike ride.
The ride back to the car park at Devil's Dyke car park, with a clear sky and a full moon was spectacular, it's a shame I was too knackered to notice properly.
As discussed, I will propose an "Urban RetroBike" ride through London very soon. It might be a good opportunity to have a day out, whilst significant others do some pre-Christmas retail therapy in town.

Back