"Breezer #2"

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
"Breezer #2" is the name given to the bike built for me in 1978 by Joe Breeze. It is among the most collectible bicycles in the world. "Breezer #1" is in the collection of the US National museum, the Smithsonian. For the last 25 years Breezer #2 has been in the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame collection, which recently returned to Marin County to the new Marin Museum of Bicycling.

Breezer #2 was used as the centerpiece of the Breezer exhibit at the Interbike trade show, where I signed the first copies of my book, Fat Tire Flyer, along with colleagues Breeze, Fisher and Ritchey.

This article about Breezer #2 has a couple of inaccuracies that the purists picked up, but it also has good photos.

Here's a photo from the signing event. You don't get this group together very often, along with the bike in question.

show_daily_zps26fdbab3.jpg

yo-Nate-y":2xuo3ruk said:
Neat stuff! Why not #6?....or #7?

Because that one is mine and I was at the show signing my book five feet away from it. Because it's #2, not 6 or 7 and I would rather answer questions about my own bike than about anyone else's. It got a lot of attention by itself, and of course my book was under it, open to the page with the photo and the chapter title, "The Most Important Bicycle of the 20th Century."

Does your bike have the serial # on the BB shell?

It's on the rear dropout. Three digits, I forget what they are.

hollister":1z8h0h63 said:
Who gave it the "Breezer #2" name?

I'm not sure, maybe Joe, but it is just a formal version of the literal dsecription. It was the second one to be ridden, after Joe's personal model, now in the Smithsonian collection and known as "Breezer #1." Mine was the bike that inspired eight other people to order theirs, so I was at the top of the list of recipients and the first to ride.

How else are you going to identify one of ten similar objects? A number seems appropriate.

Repack Rider":1g6eci74 said:
How else are you going to identify one of ten similar objects? A number seems appropriate.
With that serial number stamped on the dropout?

Did you look at the page (MOMBAT link) that Nate posted above? Does your bike have the serial number on it that the page says?

halaburt":tzpqo6j7 said:
Repack Rider":tzpqo6j7 said:

With that serial number stamped on the dropout?

You don't need three digits to identify one of ten, and the three digit numbers do not indicate sequence, so #2 is more descriptive.

halaburt":tzpqo6j7 said:
Did you look at the page (MOMBAT link) that Nate posted above? Does your bike have the serial number on it that the page says?

I would have to look at the bike, which is back in storage for the moment. Those three digit numbers are indicative of the sequence of three stages of construction, but they have nothing to do with the sequence of deliveries of the completed bikes. Joe finished all nine frames before sending them as a group to be plated.

Cool, Interesting, and very cool. In that order.

When was the last time you rode Breezer #2 on the trails?

Latest posts

Back