Braided cable? Super-flexy cable?

Funnily enough I was looking at exactly this last night. I had forgotten about Venhill, but again another great UK supplier I keep forgetting about. I think for this particular build, this will be the way forward.

Re:

That was the best shout Danson; I'll capture a little more info here in case anyone else wants to do this in the future.
A purchase was made via Venhill (see Danson's links above), and the bits arrived yesterday. Super-quick shipping- better service than they promise.

In talking to them, yup 1.5mm "7x7" cable was bought, which will marry perfectly with the standard 1.6mm housing (grease the cable, it is rougher than standard 19-strand twisted, non braided cable. In galvanised steel guise, you can solder on your own nipple. Venhill do the nipples in brass for around 20p depending upon size.

Slide on the nipples and any other hardware first (I also had to add a "nipple sleeve" as the M730 levers that I'm using, are really intended to take the "X" 2.0mm cable set), degrease the end of the cable:

Then you need to "birds nest" the end of the cable, to help key in the cable strands into the soldered joint, as per:
https://www.venhill.co.uk/media/downloa ... uction.pdf

Then you can simply use a manly soldering iron (not a tiny electronics one), and a flux-cored solder to run a load of solder into the joint.

Let it cool off, dress it with a file and you're all done!

nick, i've found a used rear brakes worth of original braided brake cable. cover the delivery & its yours

Back