boy"O"boy's 1989 Saracen Kili Flyer - AKA PINKY!

Re:

More pics...

Still functioned well despite the mud.... (or maybe that should be)
- Functioned well because it was designed for UK mud?

The induced grin left some on my teeth! - well that and the choice of using a water bottle!

Left me thinking.... "Why did I never try a Saracen Back in the Day?"

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Ashby Canal ride8.jpg
    Ashby Canal ride8.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 698
  • Ashby Canal ride7.jpg
    Ashby Canal ride7.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 699
  • Ashby Canal ride6.jpg
    Ashby Canal ride6.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 698
  • Ashby Canal ride5.jpg
    Ashby Canal ride5.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 698
:cool: always wanted to try one of these.

Im curious about sizing on these, a lot of your bikes are my size, so how do you get on with this? im more used to sloping top tubes so get confused with the older style frames in regard to what size i would need and have let a few slip by because of it :?

Gotta love a '89 Kili Flyer :) and nice it's getting used.

Attachments

• IMG_20161007_205243.jpg
    IMG_20161007_205243.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 591
Re: Re:

Augustus":2469ple9 said:
Goodness me I wanted that in 1988.

Cheers Gus.
Somehow for me, Saracens weren't on the radar. Don't know why that was, but I've got a feeling I definitely missed out. Absolutely enjoying how this rides.... and the colourway and graphics are a snapshot of 1989. 'Wham Pink' is how a few of the after work ride lads have described it!
mk one":2469ple9 said:

Im curious about sizing on these, a lot of your bikes are my size, so how do you get on with this? im more used to sloping top tubes so get confused with the older style frames in regard to what size i would need and have let a few slip by because of it :?

Cheers Mark.
Yeah, I've seen on a few occasions you've mentioned my bikes are the perfect size for you!
Every one of mine line up is different in terms of ride style and geometry.
My favourite is the 17" Aluminium "O" - a longer extension of seat post should mean the 19" frame would fit me better, but having had and ridden both back to back, the smaller frame felt better.
The Pace is a 19" - that just feels 'right'.... but the position feels 'racier' and not ideally suited to longer rides.
The Ridgeback is the oddball. That too is a 19" frame but with a dead level top tube, meaning a low headset height. The position is gained back with rise on the stem. Have a look at the Ridgeback build in my signature, and there's a bit near the end where I've put the pace and the ridgeback next to each other. Same saddle and handlebar heights but 2 very different approaches to geometry from the same year.

Now.... The Saracen comes as a surprise. I thought it would be like the Ridgeback...both Tange Prestige, both level top tubes and low headset height. I think the Kili is a 20" frame and there's a reasonable amount of extension on the seatpost. The stem has long quill though so with the rise as well, the bar height comes in the same as the Ali "O"
It's definitely more comfortable on a longer ride...the Ridgeback feels like a quick race lap would be enough!.... but that could be corrected with more rise to the stem. My mate BITD rode his 704XT with a zero rise 150mm stem....his back must have suffered!

I'm 5ft 11" if it helps, and for a sloping top tube - I usually ride an 18/19" frame. Maybe I should try a Saracen in the next size up? (well it's a good excuse for another project! :oops: ) - but the Kili rides well in this size for me.
I'd like a Klein.... but having seen lots of them have a longer extension of seat post too, I'm uncertain on size. Maybe the smaller rides better? Perhaps the smaller frame like the Ali "O" works better than the proper size for my height.

MR OX":2469ple9 said:
Cracking looking bike!

Thanks David.... without your help on the stem, I don't think I'd be enjoying it as much!

Graham_hkr":2469ple9 said:
Should drop a couple of pics in here for the record... E.S.L.A ;)

Thanks Graham.... Certainly will at some point. :D

dw_uk2000":2469ple9 said:
Gotta love a '89 Kili Flyer :) and nice it's getting used.

Lovely. That looks a cracker! Makes the pink on mine look more purple! - beautifully done. Love the yellow cables too. They look 'just right'

Following the reply to Mark, out of curiosity - do you ride with that extension of seat post?
How do you find the sizing on yours and any advice you give?

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

Re: boy"O"boy's 1989 Saracen Kili Flyer - Rat Build

boy"O"boy":1bxwo0sc said:
The old Amber walls fared well considering the conditions, opting for a smoke lite compe on the rear gave enough mud clearance. They might struggle a bit more for grip if there was more elevation though. For old tyres, they haven't fallen apart yet either!!

Small update on the Saracen.

I was very wrong about the tyres! - That short off-road ride on old rubber had literally shredded the smoke-lite. I only noticed it, the next time I took it out and it immediately rode like a fifty pence piece!

Struggling to find a suitable amberwall replacement, Thekidmalone kindly sold me a pair of NOS Continental Amberwalls to keep the Kili running.
I'd have liked to buy a pair Terance's T1 riders for this, but unfortunately 2.1" will not fit the rear. I will however, be buying a pair of these tyres for my 'other' rider.

Now I'm signed up for Mayhem, I'll be riding the Kili a bit more in readiness for the big event. So far....it's only been rides on the road bike.

Here's a few revised pics. There's some too that show the state of the 'Patina' a bit better.

Enjoy.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• saracen patina 3.jpg
    saracen patina 3.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 378
  • saracen patina 2.jpg
    saracen patina 2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 378
Re: boy"O"boy's 1989 Saracen Kili Flyer - Rat Build

boy"O"boy":34g4dkye said:
The old Amber walls fared well considering the conditions, opting for a smoke lite compe on the rear gave enough mud clearance. They might struggle a bit more for grip if there was more elevation though. For old tyres, they haven't fallen apart yet either!!

Small update on the Saracen.

I was very wrong about the tyres! - That short off-road ride on old rubber had literally shredded the smoke-lite. I only noticed it, the next time I took it out and it immediately rode like a fifty pence piece!

Struggling to find a suitable amberwall replacement, Thekidmalone kindly sold me a pair of NOS IRC Amberwalls to keep the Kili running.
I'd have liked to have bought a pair Terance's T1 riders for this, but unfortunately 2.1" will not fit the rear. I will however, be buying a pair of these tyres for my 'other' rider.

Now I'm signed up for Mayhem, I'll be riding the Kili a bit more in readiness for the big event. So far....it's only been rides on the road bike.

Here's a few revised pics. There's some too that show the state of the 'Patina' a bit better.

Enjoy.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• saracen patina 3.jpg
    saracen patina 3.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 381
  • saracen patina 1.jpg
    saracen patina 1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 379
  • saracen patina 2.jpg
    saracen patina 2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 379
  • new tyres.jpg
    new tyres.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 381
  • saracen kili flyer 7.jpg
    saracen kili flyer 7.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 381
Re: Re:

boy"O"boy":1y2jzvb4 said:
Augustus":1y2jzvb4 said:
Goodness me I wanted that in 1988.

Cheers Gus.
Somehow for me, Saracens weren't on the radar. Don't know why that was, but I've got a feeling I definitely missed out. Absolutely enjoying how this rides.... and the colourway and graphics are a snapshot of 1989. 'Wham Pink' is how a few of the after work ride lads have described it!
mk one":1y2jzvb4 said:

I suppose that's partly because back in those days we only had what the local shop chose to stock, mtb mags and occasionally bumping into a rarity on a trail. So often whole ranges of brands flew under the radar in a way.

I wanted that bike so much and the Reflex that sat next to it in my local mtb shop when we left London - Rayments in Brighton. After FW Evans in London.

Ended up on an '88 Trekker instead, but lovely all the same. Loved that bike.

Liked the size. Felt small. Unlike my 19.5in Muddy Fox Courier it replaced.
But i always liked mtb's on the small side. My Pace was a 16.75 because the 18 felt like a 19 or more to me. But i am short. ;-)

Back