Box Three Prime 9 conversions

pwebb

Old School Hero
Hi - looking for any insight into Dos and Dont's with Box 1x9 mini gruppo... I have done 1x conversions on restomod bikes before using Shimano and Microshift - but the Box kit is new to me - I figured it is worth experimenting with at just £99 in the UK - that's a lot of kit for the £££ - and even cheaper than Microshift - but what are the pitfalls? - I would love to know things like do I have to use the supplied chain? - How about the shift cable? first impressions on unboxing = OMG that freewheel is mahoosive - dinner plate size box_3_prime 9 _11_50.jpg

Attachments

• Box 11_50 versus campy  9 speed.jpg
    Box 11_50 versus campy 9 speed.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Box 8 came with my vitus. Solid stuff IME. For sure, I won't be replacing the chain with a special one when it comes to it.

Would be good to see more wide range lower speed groupsets.

any thoughts on chainring choices folks? - I was thinking 38T at the front but now I have seen the frankly ridiculous size of the 50T cluster I am thinking more like 44T - also any experiences bad or good mixing different chainring brands? - I assume narrow wide is de rigeur with this kit?

Chainring teeth is going to depend on how steep the hills are where you ride, what cranks you're using & how big of a chainring will fit and still clear the chain stay.
Narrow wide is pretty standard for most 1x set ups.

I've switched to 1x9 and never looked back.
This kit seems quite interesting. In fact, very interesting for an MTB.

For road & gravel:
I run a shimergo set-up on my bikes. Campy 10sp brifters, shimmy/micronew 9sp read mech, 9sp 11-34 SRAM 990 cassette, cheap Chinese "Deckas" narrow-wide chainring. 42T on my summer sportive bike, 40T on my heavily loaded commuter/audax and 38T on the randonneuse.

34-42 got me up Talla Wall last time I did the Touro, and I overtook dozens of folks while doing it.

The gear selection process is as follows:
- Figure out the lowest gearing you regularly need before it's easier to chuck the bike on your shoulder & run up the hill.
- Get the widest rear cassette you're comfortable with.
- Your lowest cog's teeth decide the narrow-wide chainring size.

Anecdotally, it is possible to have a 9 x 1+1 set-up, where you run a double or triple crankset with two narrow-wide chainrings on it. One for regular pedalling and one for challenging climbs/hilly terrain. IF you need the lower chainring, you stop and manually swap the chain in about 30 seconds.
I don't know how well this works in practice though.

Last edited:
Box Components has a really strong reputation in BMX.
2024-Syndyt-SYB-BMX-Racing-Bike-12.jpeg
I'm very interested in how this works for you, esp as they stress the durability of the product. Would love to hear how it holds up. It's always good to have more options to keep old bikes rolling

any thoughts on chainring choices folks? - I was thinking 38T at the front but now I have seen the frankly ridiculous size of the 50T cluster I am thinking more like 44T - also any experiences bad or good mixing different chainring brands? - I assume narrow wide is de rigeur with this kit?

Depends on what you like riding. Personally, I'd happily go lower than a 30t if they were readily available on today's cranks as I love technical hill climbs. A 30-32 chainring is a pretty common set up nowdays - even with a 50t cog.

Box Components has a really strong reputation in BMX.
View attachment 850438
I'm very interested in how this works for you, esp as they stress the durability of the product. Would love to hear how it holds up. It's always good to have more options to keep old bikes rolling
So far, on first impressions, I would say the rear mech is extremely solidly constructed and has potential to perform well and last, likewise the freewheel, both are moderately heavy. The shifter feels more flimsy and very like Microshift units. I am awaiting delivery of cranks and chainring to finish this build but will post when complete and tested. The cost is similar to Microshift Acolyte 1x8 ( will also fit on 7 speed freehub body and act as 7 speed). The Microshift setup is not as bomb proof as Box, but is still good quality and exceptional value for money ( check out prices at Kids Racing). The only issue with Acolyte is the odd non Shimano compatible cable steps and sprocket spacing but I do like the light action . Microshift also do Advent 1x9 but that again does not fit on the shorter 7 speed freehub body that you will find on most vintage Shimano hubs. The Box three 1x9 freewheel is for newer Shimano 9,10,11 freehub body which is on post 2001 hubs so watch for that, the size is perfect replacement size for 9 speed Shimano freewheel. I would also warn that derailleur hanger is not low enough for the enormous 50t freewheel in the Box Three kit , so an extension for the hanger is needed for older bike frames I will post pictures of that when finally assembled. Summary, the Microshift Acolyte 1x8 ( and 7) is more straightforward for retro bikes albeit not mixable with Shimano. If doing restomod on 9 speed rear wheel, then the Box three ( or four) will be more compatible. Both are cracking value for money and have the all important clutch to prevent chain slap. Note that if you want to use retro thumb shifters then you may have compatibility issues. I only use these 1x kits where I am going to use the matching under handlebar shifters and dispense with front shifter and mech. The weight saving is considerable over 2x and 3x and less cables and no front mech gives a far cleaner look IMHO.
The lack of chain movement with clutch equipped rear mechs also means less chainstay rash and less dropped chain anguish.

Last edited:
Shimano HG Hub 6,7,8 35mm bodyShimano HG11 Hub 9,10,11 37 mm bodyShimano Shifter compatible?Other considerations
Microshift Advent 1x9NoYesyesMatch shifter and freewheel, use narrow chain (9,10,11)
Microsohift Acolyte 1x87 speed ( remove one sprocket)Yes 8 speedNo - Acolyte specificMatch shifter and freewheel, use narrow chain (9,10,11)
Box Three - 11-46TYes without spacerYes with spacer suppliedPossibly - e.g. not retro thumbiesBest to match shifters. Narrow Chain supplied in kit
Box Three 11-50TYes without spacerYes with spacerPossibly - e.g. not retro thumbiesDerailleur hanger needs extension to clear 50T sprocket
Other Box PrimeCheck compatibility and don’t mixallsomeSee Box website
Support – Box (boxcomponents.com)
Other MicroshiftDon’t mix advent/acolytesomesomeTech Documents | microSHIFT
Kids Racing Ltd

Back