Boulder Intrepid AL (Finished!)

Re: Boulder Intrepid AL (new project)(CRACKED FRAME NOOOOoooo..)

I would not press anything in there, really. Tight fit and epoxy might be a better solution. Because it takes the kind of stress away from the headtube that made it brake in the first place. And it would dispatch the forces evenly.

My advice would be to pack it away, save up the dollars and do it properly with a new head-tube.

I agree - if necessary flog some of the components to fund the frame repair.

Or just hand it up on the wall ... you got it for about $0 if you factor in the great deal on the parts :)

jimi911":1tltfi7j said:
Or just hand it up on the wall ... you got it for about $0 if you factor in the great deal on the parts :)
Well in the short term it may end up a 'hanger' until I sort out what to do.

Part of me wants to do the simple external ring fix, just so I can build and ride it, as I've never ridden a Boulder before (like most of us). I've read good and bad things about the ride quality, so if I really love it, then I could justify the full headtube replacement and re-paint one day. If the ride feel leaves me cold, then I'm not really out that much, and could pass the frame along to someone else who wanted to take on the project. An early full suspension bike is hard to compare to today's sussers. For a retro hardtail its a different story, they can really hold their own. For a quirky old suspension design, if it ain't workin', its hard to enjoy. I had that experience with my Klein Mantra and had to let her go.

I'm not into keeping bikes in my stable that aren't fun (for me) to ride...

Re:

I got a Manitou FS Headtube crack repaired for £30 (around $50)

Ok it was a short crack but that was for the weld and the reaming of the headtube)

I think $200+ is a joke, any competent welder shod be able to fix this...

Re: Re:

boxxer":c2o822yu said:
I got a Manitou FS Headtube crack repaired for £30 (around $50)

Ok it was a short crack but that was for the weld and the reaming of the headtube)

I think $200+ is a joke, any competent welder shod be able to fix this...

I get that, but if we are talking about a 'bike guy' (like Dekerf) putting the thing back in an alignment stand and doing its to his standards it probably going to be a bit more.

I'll ask Malcolm at Bisegal today when I see him. I don't think he likes to play with aluminum, but I'll ask. If you can wait he's a good guy and very reasonable $$$ wise.

Go to Frank man. He'll solve your problem...just not immediately.

Re:

Thanks for all the input everyone! There are a lot of differing opinions so far, not making my decision any easier!

Jimi I'd appreciate your asking for me, the more info I have the better. Shipping might be the deal breaker but you never know.

I've emailed Chris DeKerf again to see if he would recommend a complete head tube replacement now that I have discovered more cracks than I had in my initial contact with him.

This one is worthy of repair. Very rare.

Back