Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gt-heini's Xizang

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I honestly didnt know there were so many people who dont like GT's :shock:

But no, I'm not changing brands!

Pickle":11ukggdv said:
I honestly didnt know there were so many people who dont like GT's :shock:

You need to bear in mind that alot of users here are a new generation whos only experience of GT is the fact that Halfords sell them, instantly destroying GT credibility.

Others just don't like the triple triangle, and have (foolishly) written off any GT bike because of it.

People forget how innovative GT were BITD, how good bikes like the Zaskar and Xizang were and how GT helped pioneer full sus bikes with the RTS et al.

I agree with Russell , people tend to forget that GT used to be on of the top brands , and still are . The I drive design is good , and the new carbon Zaskar looksexcellent . If they were not sold in halfords and part of pacific , they would have a much better reputation .

Some votes get 150 voters, i think 99 votes so far is not that bad .

Keep voting for me chaps , I have never been that close . :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well put you two ;)

People do tend to forget that GT does have such an amazing history in MTBing. Anyone remember the Grundig World Cup where Julie Furtado hardly lost a single round. And then the World where she won the DH on an RTS, and it was only the second time she had ridden it!

The logic that people are too young to remember when the brand was good could extend to virtually every 'retro' marque still in production (certainly by this communities definition of a desirable bike).

I love GT's, but they are boring and never really achieved cult status here BITD. Some big races were won on them, and Hans Rey did make them look cool, but i think they were always overshadowed in the UK. Maybe if this poll was on a German based forum, everyone would be going nuts ;)

As a footnote, i also wonder if price was a factor? Kona made desirable bikes right from the bottom of the range, perhaps it was the case low-end GT's were rubbish and the top-spec ones weren't exotic enough to be desirable (compared with Kleins etc)?

I lusted after an RTS as teenager, but nobody i knew rode any sort of GT. Plenty of Muddy Foxes, Konas, Specializeds, Oranges etc though.

Just some more ideas to kick around...

Well… At least the brand has our loyalty :D

GT was certainly a class-leader in it's hayday, but perhaps TallPaul is right – maybe the UK as a whole just didn't get the brand.

My love affair is probably a result of the old shop I worked at BITD selling loads of GTs – most of the staff there had one at some point. If fact I think most of us still do.

Crayons":3pdb5qyq said:
My love affair is probably a result of the old shop I worked at BITD selling loads of GTs

Mine is as a result of RTS's.

Wanted one since GT first made one, and then I had to wait until 1996 to buy mine.

Worth the wait ;)

One of the reasons I bought my Karakoram was the fact that GT were a high profile brand BITD. It seemed as though every other bike test in the mags had a GT in it. I looked at Konas and the rest but none of the others at the time 'did it' for me. I would have liked one of the high-end bikes, especially the RTS's/Zaskars but just couldn't afford one :(
Even Tim Vincent rode a Karakoram doing a MTB race when he was on Blue Peter. Kudos or what :?: :LOL:

Back