BOTM Aug2012- British Special- Vote now.

Who has the best of British?

• videojetman- Dynatech

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nevadasmith- Bigfoot Smokestone

• makster-1990 Overbury's Pioneer

• biglev-Roberts Peugeot

• dendy-Saracen Kili Comp 96

• Rob Aitken- Dave Lloyd

• legrandefromage-Harry Quinn

• firedfromthecircus-Cleland Aventura number 5

• mrlee-1985 Dawes cougar

• Giom6-Zinn Z-classic

• Easy_Rider-'94 Dawes Special Edition

• Dawes-Man-Dawes "The Edge eXTRa"

• H-Fuquay

• danson67-1985 Highpath

• reanimation-'94 Prestige

• NeilM-1990 Roberts White Spider

• Paul Eggleton-Pace

• ShiftySteve-91 Aluminium O

• JeRky-Chas Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X

• Mr Panda-1995 Orange P7

• mikee-Pace

• sinnerman-Hardisty/Nike

• terryhfs-m-trax

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
".."grrr" riders....", wnat a nice word and description, LGF!

The breed amuse me most when I see them on gentle riverside paths where my TuffTrax is perfectly happy with 'grds and Conti Tour Ride tyres. Sadly I hardly ever seem to excite abuse - probably too old to be worth the effort. When I do I simply invite them to dismount (not exactly in those words) so that we might discuss their attitude (definitely not in those words).

John Lennon enjoying one of England's finest...Raleigh DL1 (without Knobbies)

At home in the English countryside, at home as an Urban assault vehicle.

Attachments

• JL Raleigh DL1.jpg
    JL Raleigh DL1.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 710
tvcreative":1pezmfeq said:
Cleland? I'm so glad I got a rise out of you blokes.

Next you'll tell me that a DL-1 with knobbies is the best racing bike ever made...

There is no mythical bike, just variant degrees ride and of taste...I have owned hundreds of bikes, thinking each was better than the one before using some biased made up criteria for justification...

I am not really sure how you get a scaffold of a bike to roll properly down narrow singletrack or better yet, when you are looking to get a hole shot - in a race - how you can sprint out of it with bars that high....

please what does it weigh? 3 stones?

Weight is a spurious issue as modern Cleland style bike could be made to weigh the same as as other modern bikes the only additional weight would be the mudguards. I own a modern Cleland that weighs in at just over 26lbs. An original Cleland weighed in at about 36lbs with 6lbs of that being the weight of the 650b snow tyres. Meanwhile its average mountain bike equivalent with its weak skin-wall tyres weighed about 32lbs.

The defining feature of a Cleland is the that the riders body weight is placed high up and towards the rear of the bike. The effect of this is to improve rear wheel traction and to slow down the time that the bike takes to over balance (google "inverse pendulum theory" for the physics) The effect on balance of front wheel side slip or wheel-trapping is also reduced.

Put simply if something goes wrong, you have more time to respond making the Cleland the ideal bike for use in slippy conditions.

"...how you can sprint out of it with bars that high...?"
Well the bars need be no higher than the saddle and Graeme Obree seemed to manage OK!

The Cleland Cross Country Cycle / Mountain Bike debate is an old one that Cleland lost when Ron Kitching forced Cleland out of the bike production business in 1984. The later Highpath Engineering versions with their £2000 price tag were never a realistic proposition for the average 1980's mountain biker. However it's pertinent to resurrect the debate here.

Attachments

• obreebike-WATSON_00001644-5.jpg
    obreebike-WATSON_00001644-5.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 683
Damn. I want to change my vote. Voted for the Hardisty JMC replica as its stunning and the work that went into it deserves recognition, but now I want to vote for the Cleland. It was my second choice initially but after reading the discussions has now jumped to first choice.

I thought the vote is for quality of restoration, as opposed to the qualities of the bike itself?
Nevertheless, I'm gratified by your change of heart, if not vote.
You can guess where my vote went.
Would it not be possible to have a vote in order of preference, like the AV system?

It is my understanding that firedfromthecircus-Cleland Aventura number 5 has not been restored beyond being cleaned oiled and a few original parts being sourced and fitted. Until recently it was still fitted with its original Duopar rear derailleur. These were fitted because the first Shimano Deore XT derailiurs fitted to the later Clelands had not yet come onto the market when this bike was made. How the Duopar survived I don't know, if you gave them so much as a sideways glance they would wrap themselves around the freewheel.

This bike has an amazing back-story. It was made for a US serviceman then working at USAF Mildenhall in Sufolk. It apparently traveled the world before returning to the UK where it was bought by a member of the Veteran Cycle Club.

On the subject of the Raleigh DL1. Despite their similarities, to compare the handling of a Cleland with even the finest of English or Dutch roadsters would be a mistake. The Cleland actually takes its handling characteristics from motorcycle trials bikes. It has the steering and short wheelbase of a road racer and the riding position of an oversize BMX.
The fact that you cannot touch the ground with your feet whilst sitting in the saddle is disconcerting at first but you soon get used to it. When I first rode Geoff's current bike I didn't even notice that it had a 15" bottom bracket height compared to the 13" I was used to. Once your used to not being able to touch the floor, it matters little by how much.

Back