Bontrager Race-Lite bike with Rockshox SID forks and XT

jacksloan

Dirt Disciple
Bontrager Race-Lite bike with Rockshox SID forks and XT groupset for sale. Large size (19"). Forest Green.

Many readers will know that this is a small piece of MTB history… Built at Bontrager’s factory in California (probably around 1995) before Trek bought the company. Distinguished from the Race and Privateer models by lighter tubing and slotted stays (see pictures).

This frame has a rightful place in the frame-building hall of fame. Responsive, fast and very comfortable to ride, the Race Lite is a very special bike. These are now very rare - grab one while you can!

Being sold here with full XT 9-speed groupset in full working order. It comes with Rockshox SID forks which are extremely light and very good (the buyer may wish to have these serviced at some point as I have not done this for a few years although there is nothing wrong with them, and they seem to hold air fine). The steerer tube is 1” unthreaded, and I have fitted a black Chris King headset.

There is the expected chipping to paint that you would expect a frame from this vintage to exhibit, and there are signs of chainsuck (see photos). I have retro-fitted an anti-chainsuck plate so this should not longer be an issue (Bontrager frames came with this as standard, but this example had its plate removed for some reason). Two of the bottle-cage bosses are need their threads chasing, but otherwise the frame is in good order. This would come up beautifully with a new powder-coat and new decals (available on eBay regularly).

Wheels are solid – XT hubs on Mavic X222 rims with black double-butted spokes. Panaracer Fire XCB tyres.

Kore seatpost and WTB saddle.

Shimano SPD pedals, bontrager stem, Marin bars and bar-ends, XT v-brakes.

Offers over £400 welcomed!
I would prefer the buyer to collect from London (either N15 or N1). Happy for buyers to test-ride and I will try to answer any questions. I worked as a cycle mechanic many years ago, so know how to look after bikes!

I am in Italy in the next week, but should have email so will respond to emails as soon as I can.

Attachments

• JRS_3000.jpg
    JRS_3000.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 880
  • JRS_3001.jpg
    JRS_3001.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 880
  • JRS_3002.jpg
    JRS_3002.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 880
  • JRS_3003.jpg
    JRS_3003.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 880
  • JRS_3004.jpg
    JRS_3004.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 880
  • JRS_3005.jpg
    JRS_3005.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 880
  • JRS_3006.jpg
    JRS_3006.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 880
Hi, this is a lovely bike, but as per the forum rules it has to have a price otherwise it will be locked by the mods. Once you've put a price on good luck with the sale.

markwashington":2bb2vyb5 said:
Hi, this is a lovely bike, but as per the forum rules it has to have a price otherwise it will be locked by the mods. Once you've put a price on good luck with the sale.
Sorry - I'd missed this. Have now changed the ad.

Back