BOB JACKSON MERLIN ROAD RACE BIKE FULLY RESTORED 1969

Is this still for sale. I used to have a very similar 1970's JRJ Merlin and am looking to find something similar for a complete rebuild as my version was then. Need to source Stronglight Chainset.. I've still got the bars, stem, rear mech. (Nuevo Record) and saddle! Can't find a TTT seat-post sadly. I'd be having a full respray to the Black with red panels. Where does it need collecting from?

I thought merlin was bob jacksons bought in range a bit like woodrup cycles is woodrups bought in framesets. Just sold a genuine jrj olympic ring frameset conformed 1959 by jacksons and I cant say it flew out of the door.Neither did it make the sort of money it would have made a year or so ago. Once the financial collapse is over then I think things will go back to their old values but at the moment I can only wish you luck

I thought merlin was bob jacksons bought in range a bit like woodrup cycles is woodrups bought in framesets. Just sold a genuine jrj olympic ring frameset conformed 1959 by jacksons and I cant say it flew out of the door.Neither did it make the sort of money it would have made a year or so ago. Once the financial collapse is over then I think things will go back to their old values but at the moment I can only wish you luck
Bob Jackson owned the rights to the Merlin name and made frames with both Bob Jackson and Merlin badging in the Leeds workshop. The Merlin range were absolutely gorgeous... Mine had pencil seat stays which were so elegant! (I had frame JRJ 1000.. I never did find out if it was in any way special due to the number..). I only paid £35 for the whole bike in 1977, though it cost ten times as much to equip to a worthy standard as some of the parts were well below par due to a couple of previous owners replacing equipment on the cheap. I had it renovated by Bob Jackson twice, covering about 40,000 miles between restorations. In the end the bottom bracket shell snapped at the junction with the seat-tube, and virtually all the components were too tired to justify a rebuild so I scrapped it.

I think I still have a merlin catalogue somewhere.Back in my club riding days ( early sixties ) I rode with my local club at ripon. There were some lads who rode with us from leeds and one of them had one of the nicest looking bikes I have ever seen.It was a warm sandy coloured merlin with teal blue panels and white lug lining.Does not sound right when you describe it but it was beautifull

Is this still for sale. I used to have a very similar 1970's JRJ Merlin and am looking to find something similar for a complete rebuild as my version was then. Need to source Stronglight Chainset.. I've still got the bars, stem, rear mech. (Nuevo Record) and saddle! Can't find a TTT seat-post sadly. I'd be having a full respray to the Black with red panels. Where does it need collecting from?
Alas, I fear the advert is a decade old and the poster has not been on here since, but I love the sound of the idea so good luck with your search. Might be an idea to put a post in the wanted section, you never know what might be lurking out there?

Didn't know Spanish have copied Italian Camapagnolo parts ;)

I think I have a TTT seatpost somewhere, let me look, may be one of those fluted ones. What Stronglight model chainset are you after?

I think I still have a merlin catalogue somewhere.Back in my club riding days ( early sixties ) I rode with my local club at ripon. There were some lads who rode with us from leeds and one of them had one of the nicest looking bikes I have ever seen.It was a warm sandy coloured merlin with teal blue panels and white lug lining.Does not sound right when you describe it but it was beautifull
Wow, if you find the catalogue I'd love to see it! Sadly I haven't got any photos that show the Merlin in its true glory.. cameras were rarer then! Mine was originally pale blue with white panels and white lined lugs. I had it restored in black, with deep red panels with gold detailing.. (panel edges and lug-lining) I do remember the restoration catalogue they had then, and dithered over chrome-plating on the stays and forks. With hindsight ( and at virtually double the price and a longer delivery time!) that would have been even better. I kept the original Weinmann Brakes and GB bars.. but learned how to polish these (and the Mavic rims) to a brilliant shine. The 3TTT seat pillar and stem were anodised, as was the Stronglight chainset.

Didn't know Spanish have copied Italian Camapagnolo parts ;)

I think I have a TTT seatpost somewhere, let me look, may be one of those fluted ones. What Stronglight model chainset are you after?
That was a fault of my grammar and not industrial copyright theft :) (The rear mech was Campag) The Chainset was bought in early 1978 but might have been stock from a year or two before. Anodised alloy cranks with deep cutout, five-arm spider which was mostly cut away and very heavily drilled chainrings in black anodising. Despite the fragile appearance of the spider, and the 53/44 format it was to die an untimely death in a most surprising manner about four years later when I went into a sprint and the left crank snapped close to the pedal. An engineer friend concluded it was corrosion fracture and that the square-edged cutout was likely to blame.

That is definitely very much like it! the chainrings were black anodised, I may have been riding a 52, 53 or 54T outer, pretty sure it was a 44T inner. 5 speed 'block' cassette which I assume would have been 13, 15, 17, 19, 21. I don't think the rear mech could wrap much more than that. The seat-post was a 3ttt with light blue anodised flutes. front mech was a new design (1977) Dura-Ace, Campag down-tube levers on a bracket (there was a bracket stop on the frame but no lever bosses) I'd fitted Mafac brake levers, partly because they had very plush rubber hoods compared to the other offerings at the time, partly because they had heavily drilled levers to match the chainrings.

Back