BMW driver swerves & tries to push cyclist over

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":1ljv669w said:
May be it's a generalisation but a certain mindset do seem to drive those badges/types of cars – I've lost count of the close calls I've had with them.

Ok, I'm a bit biased but in truth most BMW drivers I see are very courteous to cyclists and I do notice, believe me. I have driven after and confronted a few dangerous drivers for menacing cyclists in my time. Think the profile of Beemer drivers these days has improved a fair bit IMO. The to$$ers now drive Audis mostly :LOL: It's too easy to make negative sweeping statements about socio economic groups and their cars. IMO there needs to be an ongoing TV awareness campaign about how to pass cyclists safely and a stark warning to drivers who do not or worse.

Re:

IMO there needs to be an ongoing TV awareness campaign about how to pass cyclists

Here in Spain it's the law that you must give cyclist 1.5 Metres room when you pass. I've seen T.V. adds about this during the Vuelta and some cycling club jerseys even have the message reinforced on the back.

The other side of the coin is that on certain types of road riding in single file is mandatory.

Of course I've seen both of these rules broken / ignored from time to time but generally cyclist are treated with more respect in Spain.

I've a theory that it's our old [English] class system lingering on in as much as anyone in a car automatically feels superior to those plebs on bikes.

Re:

I'm sure someone was recently convicted of this a while ago, driving a black pug 206 I seem to remember. And that was without the arm out of the window.

shedobits":1n6jx7rk said:
Here in Spain it's the law that you must give cyclist 1.5 Metres room when you pass.
I've a theory that it's our old [English] class system lingering on in as much as anyone in a car automatically feels superior to those plebs on bikes.

1) Clearly doesn't apply to Vuelta TV motorbikes.. ;)
2) Given what happened to Giant-Alpecin and the nationality of that driver - you might be onto something there!

M-Power":20qcnyaq said:
groovyblueshed":20qcnyaq said:
May be it's a generalisation but a certain mindset do seem to drive those badges/types of cars – I've lost count of the close calls I've had with them.

Ok, I'm a bit biased but in truth most BMW drivers I see are very courteous to cyclists and I do notice, believe me. I have driven after and confronted a few dangerous drivers for menacing cyclists in my time. Think the profile of Beemer drivers these days has improved a fair bit IMO. The to$$ers now drive Audis mostly :LOL: It's too easy to make negative sweeping statements about socio economic groups and their cars. IMO there needs to be an ongoing TV awareness campaign about how to pass cyclists safely and a stark warning to drivers who do not or worse.

You're quite right in your points. It's easy to fall into the trap of making unfair assumptions/generalisations. I try to avoid this, keep an open or pragmatic mind and give people the benefit of the doubt. Too often though, personal experience can dash this.

I think there's an opportunity to educate people out of bad driving attitudes or behaviour during driving tuition. If instructors were more rigorous and emphasised the responsibilities of being allowed to drive a car and to really show due care and attention to pedestrians, all other road users, the surrounding road conditions/route, etc. I got the impression that many instructors got into driving tuition when it seemed to be advertised over a decade ago as very lucrative way of earning a living working for yourself. Also, many moons ago, there was a staple diet of public information films drilling in the importance of one thing and another for our well being.

You're definitely right about some Audi drivers...

Osella":1u54d1ma said:
This may however change things, depending on whether it is successful and thereby sets a legal precedent:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 17816.html

Frickin awesome...hope he sues the pants off him, a driving instructor no less !!! The Police need to be more proactive in these situations, set a few precedents, as in general we are the vulnerable ones. Once the media, whether they like it or not, repeatedly hear of dangerously inconsiderate and wreckless drivers being prosecuted for such acts, then drivers will become more wary of us.

Likewise cyclists must learn to respect the rules of the road, rights of way of pedestrians on crossings, pavements, light up properly when it turns dark etc. This will elliminate excuses for targeting us. The sudden and growing influx of new cyclists will take time to adjust, as will people's perception of them. The future should look bright, what they are achieving in NY and other enlightened cities is amazing.

Latest posts

Back