Blown away: 2000 Titanium Team Raleigh RSP550 handmade in UK

Lovely bike :)
I see it has a front mech screw welded on - my earlier ti frame doesn't. Likewise mine doesn't have seams on the tubes visible nor the colour change at the welds. Cool bike, really jealous of the rear brake mount.
What is the total weight once built up?
Cheers
Rae

Really nice bike, I've got a 1999 600. You might be able to get one of the RSP headtube badges direct from Raleigh. In my opinion they're much better that the normal ones and lend the bike a level of exclusivity. The frame had a lifetime guarantee, so Raleigh were obviously prepared to back up their work. I wonder how yours came to be bare. I really like it like that and it should look good once it's been stickered up.

Rae - seams and colour change are visible as this was a painted bike. I guess yours would have been blasted to produce the final finish, an unnecessary stage if painting. I like the "industrial" raw look it has, although I could get a brushed effect with scotchbrite, or media blast it to get a uniform finish.

markwashington":1dll35ke said:
I wonder how yours came to be bare.

Have you seen the bright yellow and baby blue paintjob they came with?! :shock: Marmite colour scheme! I'm not surprised someone preferred the more fashionable raw titanium. I guess someone spent a few days with the nitromors, as the frame isn't scratched from sanding, and there's a few remnants!

I would say the painted frame doesn't look as "premium" as exotic Merlin ti frames.

I'm a big fan of the RSP paint jobs from 1999-2000 although the blue on my 1999 model isn't quite the same as on the 2000, it's Sid blue as the bike came with a blue SID as standard. The paint jobs were also done by hand in Sheffield. They do not wear well though, I've only ridden mine about three times and it's already showing some chips and scuffs.

Here's the catalogue link for 1999:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... l+products

RVN18.jpg

Bare frame is under 1.7kg :cool:

Not bad, lighter than a Hei hei or Inbred Ti, but not quite as light as an XLM.

Extremely light and British made. Such a shame they were not appreciated back when we made them.

Despite fantastic magazine reviews, sales were poor.

Instead people were falling over each other buying anything that appeared to be of "American" pedigree. (Made in Taiwan, or made in China)

Who's sorry now !

:p

Yes it is. I've come to realise its only going to sit in my loft until I get the money to do a build that does this justice- m950, middleburn, hope etc. with a house to do up, that could be some time.

I wanted to hang it in the wall in my office, but that was vetoed.

I have 3 other bikes to ride, someone should be enjoying this.

was8v":cxu6dwhu said:
Yes it is. I've come to realise its only going to sit in my loft until I get the money to do a build that does this justice- m950, middleburn, hope etc. with a house to do up, that could be some time.

I wanted to hang it in the wall in my office, but that was vetoed.

I have 3 other bikes to ride, someone should be enjoying this.

Very gutted to not see this built... If i had the money right now i would have that frame.. Lovely British Ti

Back