Bleeding Magura Clara/Julie Discs

Am I right in thinking that you don't have an actual Magura bleed kit with various tools and bleed adaptors?
The screw in 2nd pic is the one in middle of the caliper in 1st pic?

I have the proper Magura bleed kit that I've had for years. Recently bled both a set of Magura rim brakes, rear and a set of Louises* front, on same bike a Cannondale F600. The same bleed tube with the small screw-in part fitted both as far as I remember. I'll have a rummage and see if I can find my tap and die set to check the thread. A quick comparison with a wee bolt though, the thread looks the same so hopefully it is just a standard thread.
*Might be later Claras though, will check. And also forgetting the rear rim brake has a disc brake lever so my bleed method could have been different.

Edit to say...Not Claras but Julies.

Last edited:
The current Magura bleed kit only includes a M6 fitting, unfortunately. I have an actual Magura kit. Magura themselves doesn't sell or provide the old smaller M4 fitting.

With an M4 fitting on the way, eventually I'll figure out if that works. Going to try to thread the syringe tonight to see if that works.

Had a rummage and found my tap and die set. The thread on my "vintage" genuine Magura bleed kit adaptor is M6x1.0. It fits into both the bleed ports on the Julie front caliper and HS** rear rim brake. Using a thread gauge I tried to check the thread on a ball pump needle adaptor like you suggest but could only determine the pitch of 0.8, overall O.D. is 7.45mm, a brass Presta to Schrader adaptor, same thread, O.D. is 7.55mm.
I think I may still have a set of Louise brakes somewhere that look same as the pic of the rear caliper you posted. If, If I can remember where to find them without doing my head in digging out the memory from my increasingly reluctant to recall brain, I'll check bleed port thread.

Awesome detective work! Industry standard size for a Schrader valve is an M7.7 x 0.794 pitch, which is close enough to your .8 pitch. I don't think it's going to be the connector that does the trick, though, because backside piston will have to be run all the way in to get a bleed screw to thread in once the M4 setscrew is removed.

I tried threading the syringe last night and that was a no-go as well. The plastic is soft and deforms and doesn't take a thread cut even with a fresh M4 x .7mm die.

I have a M4 fitting that should be arriving today. I hope it's long enough to get into the threads inside that M5 hex hole and make this work. Such a ridiculous design for a bleed port, and then add in a proprietary fill valve is so stupid.

I hope this does the trick because the rear brake is no bueno right now. My next option will be an ebay search for Shimano or Hope parts to replace these.

Meant to add earlier instead of trying to cut thread on syringe just try to screw it in to bleed port thread. It might seal enough to bleed brake.

Also while nudging my memory into it's recesses it occurred to me that I would have bought the Magura bleed kit for when I had the Louise brakes on a bike. So the bleed port adaptor from it must have fitted the Louise brakes.

I've found the Louise brakes. This is the adaptor that is in kit to fit inside the 5mm piston adjust grub screw. Was in a wee bag of olives and hose inserts so didn't remember it was there till earlier. The screw-in part is M4x0.7, is 8mm long of which the threaded part is 6.5mm. As you can see it looks like only the 1st 3-4 threads reach to screw in to bleed port.

Attachments

• 20220914_180805[1].jpg
    20220914_180805[1].jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 2
My goodness, you found the Golden Ticket! 😲

That's the key to this whole mess—Magura no longer makes or sells those, and it's not an off-the-shelf part anywhere in the world. You're right on the length of the threads, too, as the brass fitting I got today is much shorter, and I don't know if it's going to catch at all, or even be close for that matter. If it doesn't work, my last shot is to just jam the syringe into the 4mm bleed hole and try to get as much air out of the system as possible.

After that, I guess I will be trying to figure out how to install post-mount Shimano calipers on an IS brake mount, without changing the stock 160mm rotors that are on the CODA 4-hole hubs. UGH. 😖

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Those M4 couplings are the right thread but not long enough. The brass one I got today is longer and doesn't thread. Nice find, though.

Don't know if you have resolved this or not but found this while looking for a Sram bleed kit

The 5th image of kit is a chart with the dimensions of each adaptor. The HBP41 adaptor for Magura Louise looks like it might be OK. Going by it's overall length it may have the 8mm threaded part like the genuine Magura one. Tried fitting the Magura one I posted a pic of previously to the caliper again. Unscrewed the 5mm piston adjust screw out till it locked then removed the 2mm bleed port screw. The adaptor screws in 3 full turns/threads into bleed port. So the HBP41 might be what you are looking for. Postage to the USA might be a bummer though.

Definitely looks like a legit fitting in M4 with a long enough thread. Excellent find.

Last week, I posted that I was looking for this old Magura fitting on thepaceline.net and wouldn't you know it, bike guys don't ever get rid of ANYTHING. Someone had the original bleed fitting along with a bunch of other old Magura parts. I bought it and now just waiting for it to arrive. Looks like the Clara, Julie and Louise brakes changed specs pretty quickly after their first year or two on the market and stopped using the bladder topped lever and the fixed piston brake pads. I wonder why.

Once it gets here and I get the brakes bled, I have some other setup info to share about these brakes, and I'll make a post with everything I learned through this process. It's been an adventure. I'm getting closer to an actual rideable bike!

Doug

Back