Black runs on fully rigid retro...?

Well said gAf :cool:

Are ya not tempted by a hardcore hardtail? I know many modern FS jobbers are intelligent in their efficiencies, just wondering.

I reckon riding retro gets ya base skills back on track, and resets ya back to Mountain Biker rather than any confusing and exclusive modern sub genre, it has worked for me to get back to me roots. Theres some great and tempting modern stuff out there for the pickings. Enjoy, just make sure ya come back to see us! :D

reanimation":x14dtxyr said:
Well said gAf :cool:

Are ya not tempted by a hardcore hardtail? I know many modern FS jobbers are intelligent in their efficiencies, just wondering.

I reckon riding retro gets ya base skills back on track, and resets ya back to Mountain Biker rather than any confusing and exclusive modern sub genre, it has worked for me to get back to me roots. Theres some great and tempting modern stuff out there for the pickings. Enjoy, just make sure ya come back to see us! :D

+1, see it as a half way house.

While I ride retro and none of my bikes have even front suspension....... I concur about the trails being different these days.

Most everyone I ride with is fully suspended, and the lines they take kill me---it is fun, but takes a lot more finesse. That isn't so bad, I don't mind getting a work out. But I've started to consider getting a modern bike to experience the 'flow' new trails offer.

Re:

Facebook popped this blast-from-the-past pic up on my timeline so I thought I'd revisit this thread!

Since writing it, I've fully embraced modern kit and am riding harder, faster, and technically better than I ever did on retro kit - and actually, when I hop back onto my rigid SS I ride that better now as well!

I do occasionally miss the nostalgia of halcyon days though, and was idly perusing GT RTSs for sale yesterday.. ;-)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1497685115669.jpg
    FB_IMG_1497685115669.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 260
gradeAfailure":3u0w1zlb said:
Ok, so a mate has invited me to the Kona Mash-Up at Glyncorrwg at the weekend and I'm rather up for going - however, he rides a modern Kona DH f/s and is doing the Technical category, which includes the Whites Trail black run downhill...

I have a '92 Marin, fully rigid, with cantis. I don't do drop-offs, rock gardens, steep stuff, etc.

Am I going to:
a) Crash
b) Get in peoples' way
c) Die
d) Be fine as long as I take it easy and let people past
e) Be sampling Welsh hospital food

Mildly Concerned, of Surrey.

As its a Marin then d :LOL:

Just remember that the new bikes have been designed for the new trails which in turn have been designed for the new bikes that ride them.

Back