BL***y Elastomers......

I was considering experimenting with different materials myself. I work for a company that gets through a lot of different elastic materials, including the aforementioned buffers from lift pits. Our workshop is full of possible materials and a very large lathe gathering dust...

Then again, I've just been offered some real ones, so will probably leave it for another ten years. I'd be very interested to hear any more stories though.

Turning rubber on a lathe is for the brave! I understand it helps to freeze it first. . but I've still never got results I was happy with. You need to get a reasonable surface finish, tears tend to propogate as splits in the elastomers. . :(

elite504":3eqct384 said:
Turning rubber on a lathe is for the brave! I understand it helps to freeze it first. . but I've still never got results I was happy with. You need to get a reasonable surface finish, tears tend to propogate as splits in the elastomers. . :(

A nice sharp skew will do the job.......If your brave enough ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Get down to your local gym/ school playground - cause a distraction and use a 17mm cork borer to cut what you need from some expensive Nikes soles.

To add to a string of sensible suggestions, how about the rubberised tarmac from a playground?

Or perhaps some nice cheese?

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha - Last laugh on all the cynics - I now have a perfectly functional Proflex rear end, knackered elastomers replaced by a stack of 5 -yes count em- 5, Land Rover shock absorber bushes. Total cost approx £4. It bounces, it don't bottom out - what could posibly go wrong.............? :oops:

Back