Biking After Heart Valve Replacement.

I hope you get it out of the way sooner than later.
Sooner isn't necessarily better in my situation. I will be on warfarin for the rest of my life once it's done. There are plenty of possible side effects. Also there is the decision of doing just the valve and waiting to do the artery or doing both at once. I should really get as much use out of my valve as possible before it's replaced but I shouldn't wait until the damage spreads to the heart. It's complicated.

All I would say is do as much research into this and other possible/potential future medical interventions both in the UK and abroad and find the best surgeon to do it, even if it means paying a lot for it. You are worth it.

Take it steady and enjoy everything, no need to over do it buddy. I had a friend with a hole in his heart, still rode for many years. Unsure the exact differences etc and I wish you all the best pal, research, rest, keep it fun and keep us informed.

Chris

I had that test yesterday. It went well. I don't need surgery yet. When the time comes they will do an open heart procedure and replace both the valve and the artery just above it at the same time. I don't need any medications right now and I don't have any restrictions either. About a week ago I took my KHS Comp ST for a 6.5 mile (or 10.5 kilometer) ride. It is mostly single track, moderately technical where I like to ride. I felt great during and after. I'm looking forward to better weather and more riding over the next 8 months.

Update: I had a chest CT scan yesterday. Everything is stable. I will likely have new imaging every 1-2 years to monitor the condition going forward. It's good news for now. Over the summer I haven't been able to ride as much as I would like. It seems like heavy rain whenever I have a day off from work. I have all of my bikes tuned and ready to ride at my first available opportunity. Can't wait.

My friend Jim Sullivan won the US Veterans National Championship in 1989 with a pig valve in his heart. It's still there, and he swears it was his secret weapon.

Back