Bike weight question

My_Teenage_Self":2wnt0p1k said:
The 'average' MTB from the 90s was maybe around 26lb?

The 'Average' Trail bike (I'm being specific here) today will easy be 30lb+. and Immeasurably more capable than the 90s bike - more so than most DH bikes of the time. they are not designed with 90s riding and riding styles in mind. I have a relatively modern Orange Segment; 29er 120mm front 110mm rear. You can bulldoze your way through things that would bend a 90s MTB in half. Bikes are built now to take far more abuse, different riding style and a few pounds is the sacrifice.

The gulf gets a lot smaller when you compare like for like; 90s MTB Vs modern XC (either hardtail or full sus) or even, dare I say it... a gravel bike.

Have you seen what a modern XC full sus can handle? insane.

Wash your mouth, remember where you are and put them coloured specs back on.

FluffyChicken":1dfdjs4a said:
My_Teenage_Self":1dfdjs4a said:
The 'average' MTB from the 90s was maybe around 26lb?

The 'Average' Trail bike (I'm being specific here) today will easy be 30lb+. and Immeasurably more capable than the 90s bike - more so than most DH bikes of the time. they are not designed with 90s riding and riding styles in mind. I have a relatively modern Orange Segment; 29er 120mm front 110mm rear. You can bulldoze your way through things that would bend a 90s MTB in half. Bikes are built now to take far more abuse, different riding style and a few pounds is the sacrifice.

The gulf gets a lot smaller when you compare like for like; 90s MTB Vs modern XC (either hardtail or full sus) or even, dare I say it... a gravel bike.

Have you seen what a modern XC full sus can handle? insane.

Wash your mouth, remember where you are and put them coloured specs back on.

I don't know what came over me. :oops:

As punishment I shall flagellate myself with a 7 speed chain!!!

Back