Bike weight question

MosleyCale

Retro Newbie
5 Back-to-School Home Cleaning Tips for Quick, Effortless Results

Have you had a busy, exciting time with your kids this summer? Time flies as they are about to return to school. It is a fantastic opportunity to have home cleaning from room to room and get ready before colder weather knocks on your door. During the summer break with children coming in and out, your house likely gets more exposure to pollen and dirt. The tips below may be valuable to you.

❂❂❂ You Might Also Enjoy:
T9F0ySY.gif
Top rated vacuum cleaners

1. Clean up the summer-specific messes

h6FffKl.jpg

High chances are loads of things build up in your house and occupy plenty of space. If you do not need or use any of these objects anymore, eliminating them will make your home neater. Not to mention, decluttering is an easy and effective exercise for your family members.

Just put away the toys. Grab and wash the beach towels, etc. Gather all of the flip flops here and there around your home and return them to the right spot. Get rid of anything that shows signs of wear or suffers breakage.

2. Have sparkly clean floors

Another must-do task during this home recovery mission is about the flooring. The number of things tracked in on the lower surface of your rooms may amaze you, such as sand, small rocks, pet hair, and garden mud. Making your floor sparkling clean will cause it to feel like a luxury hotel, for sure.

Before grabbing the vacuum cleaner, you should begin with a broom or a dustpan and brush set. Throw away anything sizable that tends to be problematic for your cleaning machine. Even the best home vacuums struggle with objects such as pine cones, wood chips, and bigger rocks. Follow it up with a deep vacuum cleaning.

3. Keep dirt out using the doormats

The in-and-out traffic during summer is unavoidably consistent, which leads to dust, dirt, and other debris from the outside tracked into your house.

◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆

❃❃❃ See Also: What is the best vacuum cleaner - Top vacuum cleaner reviews
yss2qw4.gif

◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆– – –◆

Making a ‘no shoes’ rule in the home is the best way to stay away from outside dirt coming into your living space. Put a shoe basket or doormat near the home entrances to encourage your family and guests to follow the rule.

4. Clean the appliances

You use dishwashers and washing machines pretty regularly, don’t you? Still, do you clean them as necessary? Those appliances pick up foul odors and residue that need cleaning out for their more effective performance.

Wipe them down to eliminate any build-up. Using white vinegar makes it possible to get rid of any odors.

5. Make a house cleaning checklist for your kids

a0t1ILn.jpg

Your kids and you may not honestly care about the chores while immersing yourselves into summer activities. Now that the children are back in school, it is time to be responsible for the routine tasks at home. Generate a cleaning list for the kids to get involved in the household chores.

To begin with, have them dust their rooms once a week. This will help avoid unnecessary clutter from accumulating. After that, give them some more chores in other parts of the home. You can engage them to help out by creating an award system.

❃❃❃ Related Article: Best vacuum cleaner brands
9ME3lZU.gif

Lastly!

Your home needs tuning up at the end of a busy, active summer. If you are in a situation when summer break is about to end for your children, the above includes useful home cleaning recovery tips.

Do you have any other tasks which you think we should include on this list to stay at the top of our game? How does your house look this year at the summer’s end?

Last edited:
I would say you need to be in the 1998+ section as you're talking modern bikes.
But older bike weigh around 25 to 28lb for an average build.
Light builds will squeeze that down lower depending on era.
A front sus, full gear and not modernised a lot build you should get 23.5lb happily for early 90s high end bikes, much easier by about 1993 too.
34lb is heavy.

Mine descend just as well being light. You, your tyres and suspension being setup properly make more of an effect.

The only way you're going to know is by trying it.

Re:

Had an FS Proflex 855 in the mid 90’s - very capable for the time.
25lbs

Built an AMP B3 in ‘95 - light and lovely - bit scary
24lbs

Built an alloy FS Transition Sentinel this summer - incredibly capable 29er almost up at DH levels
28 lbs

Canyon Sender carbon for Grom - World Cup DH standard
33lbs

What’s interesting is that DH bikes are getting lighter and lighter. The chuckability and direction-change-ability of a lighter machine seems to be outweighing the point and shoot of the older (and still very capable) heavyweight DH rigs.

Re:

A few pounds here and there doesn’t really matter on modern machines in either direction Up or down . At XXL size you may be able to go a bit lighter but nothing crazy without sacrificing durability. If you want to improve your climbing then do loads of climbing and you will see far more improvement than a lighter bike.

Re:

Agreed - training, and ride repeat is a key thing.

But to answer precisely the original question, you can get the weight down by paying attention to the accessible big ticket items - tyres (which vary stupidly in weight), discs, saddle, and bars - and weirdly grips.

But then you ask about weight being an asset in rock gardens etc - it’s not, really, skills trump mass - so more training, ride, repeat.

My first thought when I read the question was "remove the battery and motor". I then looked up the bike and realised that it wasn't an E bike.
I know nothing of these large wheeled, bouncy back end, rotor equipped modern machines, but hell on earth, is that what they really weigh?????!!!!!!!
Think I would have to get some training on the girlfriends boat anchor, before I tried riding a modern bike!

Stability in rough sections, more to do with suspension set up than anything really. The weight will help keep the bike planted but not much use if you shocks cant handle the impact and rebound rate, plus your riding style will dictate the benefits of either, if you float or pop over obstacles or just ride through them for example. Worth getting them set up for your weight, terrain and the style you ride. Also suspension you can lock out will help with the climbs no end.

Re:

I remember someone once said (Colin Chapman maybe) that 'more power helps you in a straight line, less weight helps you everywhere'. Yes weight will add some stability but at the expense of manoeuvrability. A well designed suspension platform will help you more than something just being stable because it's heavy, oh and of course a modicum of talent!

Yogi bear":28atqjws said:
My first thought when I read the question was "remove the battery and motor". I then looked up the bike and realised that it wasn't an E bike.
I know nothing of these large wheeled, bouncy back end, rotor equipped modern machines, but hell on earth, is that what they really weigh?????!!!!!!!
Think I would have to get some training on the girlfriends boat anchor, before I tried riding a modern bike!

Some bikes now seem really heavy to me. I think some of that is down to the increase in wheel size, but also down to an increase in fork diameter and length, and an increase in wheelbase - basically there is more metal everywhere! E-bikes I think have their place but whatever assistance you get from them you still counter that with a relative lack of manoeuvrability due to their sheer weight. If the one thing standing between me riding and not was an E-bike then sign me up. But whilst I am young enough (47) and fit enough (can still climb hills that my stepson walks up) then they will very much remain off my shopping list.

The 'average' MTB from the 90s was maybe around 26lb?

The 'Average' Trail bike (I'm being specific here) today will easy be 30lb+. and Immeasurably more capable than the 90s bike - more so than most DH bikes of the time. they are not designed with 90s riding and riding styles in mind. I have a relatively modern Orange Segment; 29er 120mm front 110mm rear. You can bulldoze your way through things that would bend a 90s MTB in half. Bikes are built now to take far more abuse, different riding style and a few pounds is the sacrifice.

The gulf gets a lot smaller when you compare like for like; 90s MTB Vs modern XC (either hardtail or full sus) or even, dare I say it... a gravel bike.

Have you seen what a modern XC full sus can handle? insane.

Back