Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi,

I'm looking for a bike trailer that is relatively affordable (no more than 500 euro) that can hold up to 30 to 50kg, I don't require a lot of width but lengthwise it should be able to hold an 80cm long tent/mattress setup.

Are 1 wheeled ones better than 2? What's the best method of mounting?

It will be used mostly on road.

Bob Yak is good in my experience (I have a shared ownership of one with a pal). It's narrow and the single wheel means it goes anywhere the bike can. The only problem is in tight turns when the hinge drops (it's hard to explain) and the trailer nose touches the ground.
I've owned two wheel trailers (Burley and Winchester) with my kids in them, they are fine but can be awkward on narrow paths and gates etc.

Bob Yak is good in my experience (I have a shared ownership of one with a pal). It's narrow and the single wheel means it goes anywhere the bike can. The only problem is in tight turns when the hinge drops (it's hard to explain) and the trailer nose touches the ground.
I've owned two wheel trailers (Burley and Winchester) with my kids in them, they are fine but can be awkward on narrow paths and gates etc.
Just looked up Bob Yak trailers. Can get them here and within the budget. Will definitely consider. It seems one wheel may be better for my needs, as there will be some narrow paths going down to the water to set up camp. I was also hoping to use it to lug the metal detector along, and so it'd need to be relatively compliant on the short gravel bits.

May go ahead and test a relatively cheap 2 wheel one just to get a feel for it, as I reckon they balance very well, but if it feels overly sluggish and finicky to maneuver around I'll see if I can try a 1 wheel one.

Thank you for the recommendation

I had a 2 wheeler that was a kid carrier. always felt very nervous with it on the road (remembering that I've ridden a recumbent) due to it's width. it wasn't really any wider than MTB bars are these days, but it was a width that I wasn't able to see.
for me, if I got another, it would be a single wheeler.

I had a 2 wheeler that was a kid carrier. always felt very nervous with it on the road (remembering that I've ridden a recumbent) due to it's width. it wasn't really any wider than MTB bars are these days, but it was a width that I wasn't able to see.
for me, if I got another, it would be a single wheeler.
Makes sense I suppose. The one wheeled ones seem to follow the bike a lot better from the videos I've seen, the two wheeled ones have more of a mind of their own and don't trail movement as directly as the 1 wheeled does.

What I like about the 2 wheeled ones though is that they seem very stable

Makes sense I suppose. The one wheeled ones seem to follow the bike a lot better from the videos I've seen, the two wheeled ones have more of a mind of their own and don't trail movement as directly as the 1 wheeled does.

What I like about the 2 wheeled ones though is that they seem very stable
stable with load, but they still bounce a round a fair bit on the trail.
because of the 2 wheels they have to track around the inside wheel when cornering which means they don't follow the curve you prescribe with your back wheel like a single wheeler. it took some getting used to. so did the length, but that's a story for another day. ;)

Couple of different examples:
Bob Yak with camping load
22188249456_913acf33c0_k.jpg

Two wheel with tandem - was like a truck!
32253988232_cd90b73b3f_k.jpg

Back