Bike making loud ping/crack noise when under load

ichiha68

Retro Newbie
Any advice would be amazing as this is really getting to me.

Mostly (but not always) happens when I’m gunning it down hill or in a steep climb. Either in the higher or lower gears. Seems to be coming from crank area. I lose pedal tension for what feels like a second but gears do not seem to skip (very hard to tell what is happening).
10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254
Was annoying not fixed in recent LBS service and runs smooth on a stand. I had worn out the bearing in rear wheel recently so not sure if related.

Trance X 29, 16 months old, 1-2 rides a week.

Last edited:
Could be a worn chain or worn out BB. Hard to know, with issues like this its about eliminating components one by one to get to the root of the problem.

Are the crank arms nice and snug with no play?

Also inspect the derailleur for bad alignment, could the hanger be bent?

sounds like bb or crank loose. should be in 98+ section too ideally, and i would take it back to the lbs and explain to them, they should go over it and make sure everything is tight.

Could be the seatpost/tube.

Remove seatpost, clean. Clean inside seat tube. If it's a Carbon frame use a little gripper paste and torque to correct Nm.

Take it for a 2nd opinion from a different bike shop.

I suspect its drive train related....ie worn jocky wheel, chain or cassette.

Or a bad combination of one of those parts replaced and the rest not!

If the chain ends up riding the bottom the the cassette it will make a big "crack" with loss of drive for a split second as it falls back onto the cog as it turns towards the top.

Back