Bike Collecting Article - NY Times

Nice. Thanks for posting.

On a sidenote: I read 'Mr.' all the time. Is that proper English or is that New York Times typical? Where I live the newspaper would simpy go with familyname.

STEP into the tight entryway of Noah John Gellner’s compact studio apartment on the Upper West Side, and try to squeeze past the everyday bicycles perched on their hooks. There is his road bike — a titanium rocket from Colorado — and hanging below it, a customized mountain bike, also titanium.

Leaning against that bike is another that belongs to his wife, Chikako. Two others hang from the opposite wall, and on a tall platform in the living room sit seven more — rare examples of early mountain bikes.

“O.K., let’s see,” said Mr. Gellner, counting off just how many two-wheelers he has wedged into the apartment. “Five out there, and seven in here, then there are the frames” — metal skeletons that will eventually be built up to their former glory with the help of saddles, brakes and freewheels that are waiting in boxes tucked around the place.

Doesn't the article describe most of us?....

Well, maybe, and to an extent, but the apartment in question aint big, and the quality of stuff is high, and I mean high (Cunninghams plural; Ti Salsa; Potts; IRD; Ti WTB), so whilst there are people with similar exemplary collections of high end bikes, and there are people living with multiple bikes in a small area there are very few, and maybe it is a 'big city phenomenon', living in a small apartment with lots of amazing bikes. That is what the article is about.

I use Noah as a 'see, it could be worse' example to my Girlfriend as she is becoming, lets say concerned about the four bikes, four frames and veritable plethora of bits in our diddy flat. It does not work.

feetabix":rtvf6344 said:
Doesn't the article describe most of us?.... :roll:

Having read the blog post about him drafting at night, I hope not. He seems like a tool to be honest.

I think he'd sneer at most of our rides anyhow. They wouldn't be 'worthy' enough by a long way.

Drencrom":12yaxiaf said:
feetabix":12yaxiaf said:
Doesn't the article describe most of us?.... :roll:

Having read the blog post about him drafting at night, I hope not. He seems like a tool to be honest.

I think he'd sneer at most of our rides anyhow. They wouldn't be 'worthy' enough by a long way.

Funny.... :D

Latest posts

Back